Can Coax Handle 10 GHz RADAR Power?

In summary, the person is under the impression that a person might be able to use a short (10 foot) piece of coax to run 10 GHz microwave RADAR energy down instead of using WR90 waveguide. They are concerned about exposure to RF and whether or not using coax is a better option. They are also interested in heliax coax and whether or not it would be a suitable option for the power they are looking to output.
dnyberg2
I am under the impression that a person might be able to use a short (10 foot) piece of coax to run 10 GHz microwave RADAR energy down instead of using WR90 waveguide. Is this even remotely possible? Is there any such coax that can handle the RF peak pulse or AVG power form an old RADAR set from the 50's? I realize the purpose and reasons for waveguide, but its expensive and usually difficult to work with unlike coax. I'm just not versed enough to know if such a thing can work even if there are acceptable drawbacks like a little extra loss. The RADAR I speak of is an old 10kW Bendix airborne RADAR. I use these type relics from eBay to study RADAR and experiment with high power microwaves. Any useful wisdom from some of you more senior microwave types would be very valuable to me in this endeavor. Many thanks and please... Stay Tuned!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The answer is that you should find out for yourself. There are two numbers you need to worry about--the peak voltage, which governs breakdown, and average power, which determines heating. Calculate the peak voltage in the line and compare it to the maximum voltage handling spec of your coax. You'll see that the V rating depends on the cable type, frequency, and altitude. Do the same with average power. Be sure to also look at the rating for the connectors, since they need to be special high-voltage types. Start with standard old RG-8, then look at specialty coax like Heliax from Andrew Corp.

BTW, hope you aren't radiating when performing your radar experiments. Unlicensed radiation is illegal, and can create hazards to and interference with legitimate equipment that is used for communications, aircraft navigation, weather observation, etc. Really, if you are not versed enough in electronics and microwaves to know about power handling, I propose that you may be putting yourself and others nearby at significant risk by attempting to experiment with this equipment.

Last edited:
marcusl said:
The answer is that you should find out for yourself. There are two numbers you need to worry about--the peak voltage, which governs breakdown, and average power, which determines heating. Calculate the peak voltage in the line and compare it to the maximum voltage handling spec of your coax. You'll see that the V rating depends on the cable type, frequency, and altitude. Do the same with average power. Be sure to also look at the rating for the connectors, since they need to be special high-voltage types. Start with standard old RG-8, then look at specialty coax like Heliax from Andrew Corp.

BTW, hope you aren't radiating when performing your radar experiments. Unlicensed radiation is illegal, and can create hazards to and interference with legitimate equipment that is used for aircraft navigation, weather observation, etc. Really, if you are not versed enough in electronics and microwaves to know about power handling, I propose that you may be putting yourself and others nearby at significant risk by attempting to experiment with this equipment.

Thanks for your concern but it's unfounded. I know more about microwaves than that. I have proper dummy loads and antennas and output on that band is nearly unregulated. You're not required to go and get a license to operate a marine or aviation radar. They don't exist. I'm intimately aware of exposure limits of RF emissions. On the other hand, thanks for your ideas on the coax. I thought as much but wondered and still do why you never see coax used for this moderate and low AVG pwr. Heliax I know well. There are these exotic coax types that have many thousands of volts of stand off. These magnetrons run around several KV pulses so I guess that's the number to use. Ultimately, my inspiration is ease of use and low cost as well as great flexibility rather than these miles of heavy waveguide I have been using. Thanks for your reply!

Sure you could use a short section of SR-250 with N connectors at X band to connect the antenna but I would expect to see at least a 3 db loss of power at 10 feet and it might be able to handle about 200Watts CW at that frequency.

http://www.rf.megaphase.com/documents/datasheets/rf/Semi_Rigid.pdf
http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/CatalogPages/TypeN.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget about the voltage rating of the N connectors and potential VSWR. Sometimes the connector rating is less than the coax.

N connector has exposed center conductor and low breakdown voltage.

marcusl said:

Is it the best connector for 10ghz power? No, but they can handle 5kW at HF and several hundred at X-band easily with proper matching.

Wave guide is used because it has very low loss compared with coax.
The TR switch is usually integrated into the coupling at the bottom end of the waveguide.
When waveguides arc over, they do not burn like the dielectric in a coaxial cable.
You would need to use “airline” coax to reduce loss. It is more expensive than waveguide.

dnyberg2 said:
I have proper dummy loads and antennas and output on that band is nearly unregulated. You're not required to go and get a license to operate a marine or aviation radar. They don't exist.
“Type approved” equipment does not need individual licensing. The manufacturer has demonstrated to the appropriate authorities that the equipment, as inspected, satisfied the regulations. A type approval certificate was then issued to the manufacturer for that version of the equipment.

Changing from waveguide to coaxial cable will certainly void any type approval on the equipment.

marcusl said:

The 7mm precision connectors work up to 18GHz or so and will take 2500V RMS, I believe. Better than type N in many respects - except for price!

Related to Can Coax Handle 10 GHz RADAR Power?

1. Can Coax Handle 10 GHz RADAR Power?

Yes, coaxial cables can handle 10 GHz RADAR power. However, the specific type and quality of coaxial cable needed will depend on the power level, distance, and other factors.

2. What is the maximum power that can be transmitted through coaxial cable?

The maximum power that can be transmitted through coaxial cable depends on various factors such as the cable type, cable length, and frequency. Generally, high-quality coaxial cables can handle power levels up to several kilowatts.

3. What type of coaxial cable is best for handling high power levels?

The best type of coaxial cable for high power levels is a low-loss cable with a large diameter and high power handling capability, such as RG-214 or LMR-400. These cables have low attenuation and can handle high power levels without significant signal loss.

4. How does the power handling capability of coaxial cable affect RADAR performance?

The power handling capability of coaxial cable is crucial for RADAR performance. If the cable cannot handle the required power level, it can result in signal loss and affect the accuracy and range of the RADAR system.

5. Is it possible to use multiple coaxial cables to handle higher power levels?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple coaxial cables to handle higher power levels. This method is known as power combining and involves connecting multiple cables in parallel to increase the overall power handling capability. However, proper design and installation are crucial to ensure efficient power combining and avoid signal loss.