Can I Get into a Physics PhD Program without a Physics Major?

In summary, the individual is concerned about their chances of getting into physics graduate school without having a major in physics. They are also wondering about the best way to go about this financially and if their overall GPA or physics GPA is more important. They mention the option of obtaining a second bachelor's degree and ask for recommendations. Other individuals suggest researching universities that offer a "second bachelors" program and recommend taking advanced courses in physics to improve their chances.
eaglejohnbc
I did not major in Physics...PhD?

Ok, so I recently took the intro to Physics sequence and fell in love. But I am graduating with a Philosophy major, and a math minor.

I know I need to take the required physics courses after I graduate, but will this look bad to admissions people? Not having a physics major listed might raise red flags. Also, the grades will not be factored into my GPA on my transcript, which could use a boost.

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or comments? Also, what is the best way to go about this financially?

Physics news on Phys.org

ZapperZ said:
People with various background and trainings, ranging from engineering to computer science to business (luckily, no philosophy) want to know if they can use their degree to go on to physics graduate schools.

That's probably not a good sign...

eaglejohnbc said:
Ok, so I recently took the intro to Physics sequence and fell in love. But I am graduating with a Philosophy major, and a math minor.

I know I need to take the required physics courses after I graduate, but will this look bad to admissions people? Not having a physics major listed might raise red flags. Also, the grades will not be factored into my GPA on my transcript, which could use a boost.

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or comments? Also, what is the best way to go about this financially?

I know some places offer a "second bachelors" program, where you can earn a bachelors degree in another field.

For example, here's a page from the school I'm transferring to: http://www.towson.edu/physics/physics/PHYS_SECDEG.asp

From that site:

A maximum of 90 transferable credits of undergraduate course work will be applied toward the second bachelor's degree. In addition, students must complete a minimum of 30 credits in residence
at TU and meet all the requirements of the “new” major. At least one-half of the “new” major credits must be completed at Towson since the completion of the first degree. Each student
must complete an advanced writing course. All other General Education requirements are considered to have been met through the first degree.

I'm sure every university will be different, but do some research and find a university that has a program like that, and just get a second degree.

That's probably the best option. Do you know if Umass Amherst allows second bachelors? Since it's my state school, I'd like to go there to save some money.

Another question: say my overall GPA is 3.3 when I apply, but my Physics GPA is like 3.9 or 3.8. Would I have a chance at the top schools in the country in experimental physics? Or is the overall GPA more important?

does anyone know any other programs like Towson?

eaglejohnbc said:
That's probably the best option. Do you know if Umass Amherst allows second bachelors? Since it's my state school, I'd like to go there to save some money.

Another question: say my overall GPA is 3.3 when I apply, but my Physics GPA is like 3.9 or 3.8. Would I have a chance at the top schools in the country in experimental physics? Or is the overall GPA more important?

If you've just completed the intro sequence, then the 3.8-9 doesn't mean much. Take the quantum, electrodynamics, and classical mechanics sequences and maintain your GPA.

No, I mean if I obtain that GPA after those courses, will I be a good candidate at top schools, even with a 3.3 ish overall GPA?

Maybe looking at the profiles of students applying to grad school will help you.

Related to Can I Get into a Physics PhD Program without a Physics Major?

1. What types of jobs can I get with a non-Physics PhD?

There are many job opportunities available for individuals with a non-Physics PhD. Some common options include working in research and development, consulting, teaching, data analysis, and project management.

2. Will not having a Physics PhD limit my career options?

While having a Physics PhD may open up certain career paths, it is not the only factor that determines your career options. Your skills, experience, and interests are also important factors in determining your career path.

3. Can I still work in the field of physics with a non-Physics PhD?

Yes, it is possible to work in the field of physics with a non-Physics PhD. Many research and development roles in physics may require a Physics PhD, but there are also opportunities in areas such as data analysis, engineering, and technology development.

4. Will employers value my non-Physics PhD?

Employers value a diverse range of skills and experiences. While a Physics PhD may be preferred for certain roles, your non-Physics PhD can demonstrate your ability to think critically, conduct research, and solve complex problems.

5. Should I pursue a Physics PhD if I did not major in it?

Pursuing a PhD in Physics is a significant commitment and should only be undertaken if you have a strong passion and aptitude for the subject. However, if you have a non-Physics PhD and are interested in the field of physics, there are other ways to gain knowledge and experience, such as taking courses or participating in research projects.