Can someone please cast their eyes over these questions on thermodynamics

In summary, the gas is compressed quasistatically from an initial state where the volume is 4.23*10^-3 m^3 and the pressure is Pi*10^5 Nm^-2 to a final state in which the volume is Vf*10^-3 m^3 . The Temp remains constant at 280K during the process, and the gas approximates to an ideal gas.
theaterlord
Hello all, i am haveing a few issues with a thermodynamics/thermal problem and was wondering if someone could lend a fresh set of eyes to it.

Homework Statement

a gas is contained in a cylinder with a frictionless piston the helium is compressed quasistatically from an initial state where the volume is 4.23*10^-3 m^3 and the pressure is Pi*10^5 Nm^-2 to a final state in which the volume is Vf*10^-3 m^3 . the Temp remains constant at 280K during the process, and the gas approximates to an ideal gas.

a) find the final pressure of the system
b) find the work done on the gas
c) the change in the internal energy of the gas
d) the heat flow into the system durring the process
e) the entropy change of the gas

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A&B seem to be fine i have issues with the assumptions that need to be made for c/d/e
  • compressed quasistaticly
  • temp is constant thus isothermal
  • the system is isolated as it does not interact with the surroundings
  • it behaves as an ideal gas

A)
as the pressure is low boyle's law applys Quick Symbols
Vi Pi=Vf Pf​
thus
Pf=(PiVi)/Vf​

B)
finding the work done

W=- [itex]\int^{vf}_{vi} Pdv[/itex]
P V= constant​
thus
P=Constant/v
W=- constant [itex]\int^{vf}_{vi} dv/v[/itex]
w=-constant ln(vi/Vf)​

C)
[itex]\Delta U= Q+W[/itex]
[itex]\Delta U = 0[/itex]
process is closed
Q+W=0
W=-Q

D)
[itex]\Delta U= Q+W[/itex]

process is closed

Q+W=0

W=-Q

E)
using the entropy form of the first law

for a quasistatic reversible isothermal process
du=0

Du=dQ+dW
but
dQ=T.ds
dw=-P.dv
so
dU=Tds-Pdv=0
p=constant/v

ds=c/(t*v) dv
to which we integrate
[itex]\Delta S=c/t \int^{vf}_{vi} dv/v[/itex]

which gives
[itex]\Delta S=(c/t) ln(vf/Vc)[/itex]​

So i think A,B and E are ok, however i am not certain about Questions c&d
If someone could cast their eyes over this and tell me what they think i would be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct, but you need to give numerical results.

ehild

ehild said:
Your answers are correct, but you need to give numerical results.

ehild

Sorry i should have explained i don't have the numbers yet, this is a preview version of a test that will being done in a seminar.

Thank you very much for looking it over.

Related to Can someone please cast their eyes over these questions on thermodynamics

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It deals with the transformation of energy from one form to another, and how it affects the properties of matter.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. There are four laws, but the first and second laws are the most commonly referenced. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of an isolated system will never decrease over time.

3. How is thermodynamics used in everyday life?

Thermodynamics is used in many practical applications, such as power generation, refrigeration, and combustion engines. It also plays a role in understanding weather patterns and climate change.

4. Can you explain the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one body to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the transfer of energy, while temperature is a measure of how much energy is present.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to other branches of science?

Thermodynamics has connections to many other branches of science, including chemistry, biology, and engineering. It provides a foundation for understanding the behavior of physical systems, and its laws are applicable in various fields.

Back