Canadians more interested in the American election than their own

• News
  • Thread starter fileen
  • Start date
In summary: Well, that's pretty cool. I like the imagination of it all. How clever that they concocted a whole history for him coming up through the ranks of the Canadian Alliance party in Alberta before heading up the Conservative Party and becoming PM.
fileen
I know its a big deal, but as a Canadian I am blown away by the Canadian people who are more excited and opinionated about the American elections than they were during our own. One friend of mine approached me today "yay Obama won, party at Jessies house" When I asked him what Obama stood for he hadnt a clue, he just kept saying "but what a step for America, he's black..." When I asked him who our own PM is he didnt know! He didnt even vote during the Canadian elections!

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone knows that this represents a profound change that affects us all - the power of the US President is painfully obvious. It also shatters many popular perceptions of America, and Americans, abroad.

There is a deep sense of historic events unfolding before our eyes - events that the entire world can celebrate.

It's not surprising that this apparent "pod person" effect would spread into other countries.

Odd when you consider the glamour and excitement of the recent Canadian election.

At the last UK general election polls showed a significant number of people thought that the US president had more effect on the UK than the British prime minister - they might be right.

I followed the American elections, and I can see the importance of doing so, I am just sort of disappointed that a lot of Canadians (at least at my university) did not show the same enthusiasm during our own elections. I barely heard a word about it. No one threw a "yay for Harper party"

Well, bear in mind that this was an unusually exciting US Presidential election. I don't recall anyone (American or otherwise) caring nearly so much back in, say, 1996.

quadraphonics said:
Well, bear in mind that this was an unusually exciting US Presidential election. I don't recall anyone (American or otherwise) caring nearly so much back in, say, 1996.

ya I suppose that's true

Ivan Seeking said:
Everyone knows that this represents a profound change that affects us all - the power of the US President is painfully obvious. It also shatters many popular perceptions of America, and Americans, abroad.

There is a deep sense of historic events unfolding before our eyes - events that the entire world can celebrate.

You are setting pretty high expectations to this rainmaker called Obama.

fileen said:
I know its a big deal, but as a Canadian I am blown away by the Canadian people who are more excited and opinionated about the American elections than they were during our own. One friend of mine approached me today "yay Obama won, party at Jessies house" When I asked him what Obama stood for he hadnt a clue, he just kept saying "but what a step for America, he's black..." When I asked him who our own PM is he didnt know! He didnt even vote during the Canadian elections!

I bet Canadians would know who he was if Stephen Harper was a black French Canadian.

LowlyPion said:
I bet Canadians would know who he was if Stephen Harper was a black French Canadian.
Actually he is - it's just that his party has really good PR people.

mgb_phys said:
Actually he is - it's just that his party has really good PR people.

How clever that they concocted a whole history for him coming up through the ranks of the Canadian Alliance party in Alberta before heading up the Conservative Party and becoming PM.

Sarah Palin needs to hire those guys. She needs to be in some kind of witless protection program.

The last year of American politics was like watching a modern day Paton Place.
complete with characters :)
Canadian politics is boring in comparison. I'm Canadian.

How clever that they concocted a whole history for him coming up through the ranks of the Canadian Alliance party in Alberta before heading up the Conservative Party and becoming PM.

He was born in Belgium but his parents smuggled him to Yorkshire with a fake birth certificate so he could play county cricket.
He then spent years in a Katimavik prison camp before escaping into the jungles of Ontario where he was raised by polar bears.
Alberta is imaginery anyway. I mean, a Candian province full of cowboys between the impenetrable rockies and the endless boreedom of saskatchewan - how believebale is that?

mgb_phys said:
Alberta is imaginery anyway. I mean, a Candian province full of cowboys between the impenetrable rockies and the endless boreedom of saskatchewan - how believebale is that?

http://www.banfflakelouise.com/

I like the imagination of it all.

Skiing starts this weekend.

Saddle'em there cowboy.

mgb_phys said:
He was born in Belgium but his parents smuggled him to Yorkshire with a fake birth certificate so he could play county cricket.
He then spent years in a Katimavik prison camp before escaping into the jungles of Ontario where he was raised by polar bears.

Sorry for the hijack, funny memory
the endless boreedom of saskatchewan
Having had the pleasure to drive East to West and back a few times. It's a very big and beautiful drive, but I remember saying that if Saskatchewan disappeared and Manitoba suddenly butted up to Alberta, I don't think I would have noticed.

Alfi said:
that if Saskatchewan disappeared and Manitoba suddenly butted up to Alberta, I don't think I would have noticed.

Noone but the Saskatchewanites would notice, and even them I'm not so sure would.

Related to Canadians more interested in the American election than their own

1. Why are Canadians more interested in the American election than their own?

One possible reason is that the American election has a larger global impact and receives more media coverage than the Canadian election. Additionally, the American political system and candidates may be seen as more polarizing and intriguing to Canadians.

2. Is it uncommon for Canadians to be more interested in the American election?

It is not uncommon for Canadians to show more interest in the American election. In fact, this trend has been observed in previous American elections as well.

3. How does the interest in the American election compare to previous years in Canada?

The level of interest in the American election may vary from year to year, but it generally remains high among Canadians. However, factors such as the candidates and current political climate can also impact the level of interest.

4. Are Canadians allowed to vote in the American election?

No, Canadians are not allowed to vote in the American election unless they hold dual citizenship and meet the other eligibility requirements.

5. Does the interest in the American election affect the Canadian election in any way?

The interest in the American election may indirectly affect the Canadian election as it can influence public discourse and political discussions in Canada. However, ultimately, the Canadian election is determined by the Canadian electorate and their own concerns and priorities.