Capacitor Circuit: Solving for Charge & Voltage

• Thread starter noppawit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: Again unless you mean to say "Now I denote the equivalent capacitance for V1, V2, and V3 by simply V1+V2+V3", then you're right.Thanks again.
noppawit
Capacitor circuit

As shown in the figure, capacitor1 (C1=8.0μF), capacitor2 (C2=6.0μF), and capacito3 (C3=8.0μF) connected to 12.0 V battery. When switch S is closed so as to connect uncharged capacitor4 (C4=6.0μF), a) how much charge passes through point P from the battery and b) how much charge shows up on capacitor4?

q = CΔV

http://www.wisheyebio.com/uploads/figure.jpg

I would like to know the concept of this problem. Would you please suggest me the direction to calculate this problem?

P.S.
The answer from textbook: a) 7.2μC and b) 18.0μC. I'm trying to find out the solution.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First find the initial equivalent capacitance of C1, C2, C3. Then from this you can find the charge on the equivalent capacitor. Note that the charge on the equivalent capacitor is the same for all capacitors in series since caps in series have the same charge.

Then after the switch is connected, find the new equivalent capacitance. See what to do from here?

I am really sick of this problem.

For a), I tried by summing of C1+C2+C3, I get 2.4. Then, why I can't get the right answer from 2.4*12=28.8? (The correct answer is 7.2μC)

For b) I tried:

C2+C4=12μF; then the circuit will be series, which q will be equal in each capacitor.
q = C1V1 = C2V2 = C3V3, but C3V3 = C1V1

8V1=12V2 ==>>> 2V1 = 3V2

And for V1+V2+V3 = 12, then 2V1 + 2V2 = 12
After that, I will get V2 = 3V and I use q = CΔV equation. Then, q = 6*3 = 18μC

Please help me for a) and is my solution in b) correct?
Thanks again.

noppawit said:
I am really sick of this problem.

For a), I tried by summing of C1+C2+C3, I get 2.4. Then, why I can't get the right answer from 2.4*12=28.8? (The correct answer is 7.2μC)
What is the formula for equivalent capacitor for caps in series? Secondly your approach here shouldn't be to simply find the amount of charge on the equivalent capacitor at first. It is the change in the charge on the capacitor that the question is asking for.

C2+C4=12μF; then the circuit will be series, which q will be equal in each capacitor.
Yes correct.
q = C1V1 = C2V2 = C3V3, but C3V3 = C1V1
Why should C2 have the same charge as C1 and C3 after the switch is closed? Unless you mean to say "Now I denote the equivalent capacitance for C2 and C4 by simply C2", then you're right.

And for V1+V2+V3 = 12, then 2V1 + 2V2 = 12
Why is this true?

FAQ: Capacitor Circuit: Solving for Charge & Voltage

1. How do I calculate the total capacitance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total capacitance is calculated by simply summing up the individual capacitances of each capacitor. This can be represented by the formula C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ... where C is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances.

2. What is the formula for voltage in a capacitor circuit?

The formula for voltage in a capacitor circuit is V = Q/C, where V is voltage, Q is charge, and C is capacitance. This means that as the capacitance increases, the voltage decreases, and vice versa.

3. How do I calculate the charge on a capacitor in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the charge on each capacitor is the same and can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is charge, C is capacitance, and V is voltage. This means that the total charge in a parallel circuit is the sum of the individual charges on each capacitor.

4. Can a capacitor hold an infinite amount of charge?

No, a capacitor cannot hold an infinite amount of charge. It has a maximum charge capacity, which is determined by its capacitance and the voltage applied to it. If the charge exceeds this capacity, the capacitor may fail or become damaged.

5. How does the voltage across a capacitor change over time?

The voltage across a capacitor in a circuit changes over time according to the equation V = V0(1-e^(-t/RC)), where V0 is the initial voltage, t is time, R is resistance, and C is capacitance. This means that the voltage starts at V0 and gradually approaches V0 as time goes on.