Car on an incline, friction related question

In summary, the problem asks for the maximum acceleration of a car driving up a slope with a static friction coefficient of 0.9 and a kinetic friction coefficient of 0.8. The normal force is calculated to be mgcos(16). To find the maximum acceleration, the friction force must be equal to the component of weight downhill, giving an equation of ma = μs*N + mgsin(16). However, this equation is incorrect and should be ma = μs*N - mg*sin(16). With this correction, the maximum acceleration is found to be 11.18 m/s^2.
nugget

Homework Statement

Car is driving up a slope, 16o to the horizontal, trying to accelerate as much as possible. Static friction coefficient = 0.9. Kinetic Friction coefficient = 0.8. Find the magnitude of the maximum possible acceleration (assuming a powerful enough engine).

Homework Equations

F=ma
F(friction) = (static friction coefficient) x Normal force

Normal force = mgcos(16)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a force diagram and worked out the Engine force required to overcome the gravity and friction forces and keep the car in constant velocity:

No mass is given so i canceled out the masses and found acc. to be 11.2 m/s-2. I used the static friction coefficient because I was told that the wheels have to be skidding for me to use the kinetic friction coefficient.

Can anybody help me with this question? I have a value for acceleration but I think I am doing something wrong, otherwise the question wouldn't ask for a maximum value.

Physics news on Phys.org
You get the maximum acceleration when the wheel is just at the point of slipping. Try to get more and the coefficient of friction slips to the kinetic value - and you get less.
My older cousin taught me that when I couldn't drive my Mom's car up the icey driveway. He put it in second gear (manual transmission) where it had less power and it crawled up the driveway.

I get a smaller value for acceleration. Perhaps you should share your calculation so we can see how it worked out. Did you subtract the component of the weight down the ramp from the friction force?

Initially i thought:

Force from the cars engine has to be equal to the force down the ramp due to its own gravity + the force down the ramp due to friction.

So I wrote: Fengine = Ffriction + Fcomponent of weight downhill

ma = μsN + mgsin(16)
therefore, ma = 0.9x(mgcos(16)) + mgsin(16)

but using this i get a = 11.18 m/s^2

Close. You must think of the friction force in a slightly different way for this question. The friction force is the maximum grip the car has on the road. The car pushes downhill on the road with this force, and the road pushes the car uphill with the same force (a pair of Newton's 3rd Law forces). So the force up the hill is μs*N. That mg*sin(16) pulls the car down the hill.
ma = μs*N - mg*sin(16). (Here g is a positive 9.81.)

FAQ: Car on an incline, friction related question

1. What is the effect of friction on a car on an incline?

The presence of friction between the car's tires and the incline will cause the car to slow down and eventually come to a stop. The amount of friction depends on the weight of the car, the angle of the incline, and the type of surface the car is on.

2. Can friction cause a car on an incline to roll backwards?

Yes, friction can cause a car on an incline to roll backwards if the force of friction is greater than the force of gravity pulling the car downwards. This is why it is important to use the handbrake or engage the parking gear when parking on an incline.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect friction on a car?

The steeper the incline, the greater the force of friction acting on the car. This is because a steeper incline means the car's weight is distributed more vertically, causing more pressure on the tires and increasing the force of friction.

4. What factors influence the force of friction on a car on an incline?

The main factors that influence the force of friction on a car on an incline are the weight of the car, the angle of the incline, and the type of surface the car is on. Additionally, the condition of the car's tires and the presence of any lubricants or debris on the incline can also affect friction.

5. How can friction be reduced on a car on an incline?

To reduce friction on a car on an incline, the weight of the car can be reduced by removing any unnecessary items from the car. Additionally, using tires with a higher coefficient of friction and keeping them properly inflated can also help. Using a lubricant on the incline can also reduce friction, but caution should be taken as too much lubricant can make the incline too slippery and cause the car to lose traction.

Back