CCD Size & Resolution: Trade-Off Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between resolution, sampling, sensitivity, and pixel size in imaging systems. The Rayleigh criterion and Nyquist sampling theorem are mentioned, and it is concluded that larger pixels can gather more light and have better sensitivity, but may sacrifice resolution. There is also mention of the possibility of achieving sub-pixel resolution.
Paffin
Hello guys,
thanks in advance for the help.
I have come across a theoretical problem which I hope you will be able to help me solving.

It is all base on resolution (Rayleigh criterion) and Nyquist sampling theorem connected to camera capabilities.
So, resolution (Rayleigh criterion) is roughly calculated as 0.61 λ /NA (of the objective, to simplify)
The theorem of nyquist say that to sample correctly a wave you should acquire at minimum twice the maximum frequency in order to sample correctly.

Now, if a camera has pixel size of 3.75 um (side of the square pixel)
If we acquire an image with a 60x Obj with 1.4 NA for λ=480nm we get roughly 0,22 um max resolution.
Now we magnify this to 60x and we get 13.2 um, this should be the distance between imaging point on the camera optical plane.

So, our pixel size is below 2x this length and therefore we are able “to sample” this correctly without any loss.
Am I correct until here?

My question is, seems that the smaller the pixels, the better is the sampling however, is common knowledge that larger CCDs have a far better performance in terms of brightness.
My question is, what is the trade-off between the sampling ability and the sensitivity? What is the link I am missing?

Thanks for the help,
Paffin

Physics news on Phys.org
Paffin said:
My question is, what is the trade-off between the sampling ability and the sensitivity? What is the link I am missing?

Bigger pixels gather more light and can thus image fainter objects or use shorter exposure times, but they have less maximum resolution than smaller pixels since fine details may be lost on the larger pixels.

The point is that you don't gain anything by having pixels smaller than the Nyquist criterion. This is called being "oversampled". It's not true that the smaller the pixel size, the better the sampling. In your case, the pixel size should be 6.5 microns, so with the smaller pixels you are losing light sensitivity as Drakkith pointed out, with no corresponding gain in resolution.

Paffin said:
Now, if a camera has pixel size of 3.75 um (side of the square pixel)
If we acquire an image with a 60x Obj with 1.4 NA for λ=480nm we get roughly 0,22 um max resolution.

No, that means a point object will be imaged as a blob approximately 0.22 microns in diameter. Not only point objects, any object smaller than 0.22 microns in diameter will be imaged indistinguishably from a point object- you cannot tell me if the object is 0.22 microns, 0.20 microns, or 0.1 microns in diameter. The Rayleigh criterion does tell you (in the diffraction limit) how far apart 2 point objects must be to be imaged as 2 distinct blobs.

Paffin said:
Now we magnify this to 60x and we get 13.2 um, this should be the distance between imaging point on the camera optical plane.

No, this is the size of the airy disc at the sensor.

Paffin said:
So, our pixel size is below 2x this length and therefore we are able “to sample” this correctly without any loss.
Am I correct until here?

Sort of- because the Airy disc is 3X the size of a pixel (monochrome camera!), your imaging system is camera-limited. You could use a camera with smaller pixels. Alternatively, if so inclined, you can also locate the center of an Airy disc at sub-pixel resolution.

Even so, it's true that larger pixels give better signal-to-noise ratios, especially in low-light applications.

Related to CCD Size & Resolution: Trade-Off Explained

What is a CCD and how does it affect image resolution?

A CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) is a type of image sensor used in digital cameras and other imaging devices. It consists of an array of light-sensitive pixels that convert light into electrical signals. The number of pixels on a CCD determines the resolution of the image, with more pixels resulting in higher resolution.

What is the trade-off between CCD size and resolution?

The size of a CCD directly affects its resolution. A larger CCD can fit more pixels, resulting in a higher resolution image. However, a larger CCD also means a larger overall sensor, which can be more expensive and consume more power. Therefore, there is a trade-off between CCD size and resolution.

Why do some cameras have a larger CCD than others?

The size of a CCD is determined by the camera's design and intended use. Professional cameras often have larger CCDs to produce high-quality, high-resolution images. On the other hand, compact cameras may have smaller CCDs to keep the camera small and affordable.

What is the relationship between CCD size and image quality?

The size of a CCD does not directly affect image quality. However, a larger CCD can capture more light, resulting in better low-light performance and less noise in images. It can also produce sharper images with more detail due to the higher resolution.

Is a larger CCD always better for image resolution?

Not necessarily. While a larger CCD can result in higher resolution images, other factors such as the quality of the lens and image processing also play a role. In some cases, a camera with a smaller CCD may produce better overall image quality than one with a larger CCD due to these other factors.