Center of Lift vs. Center of Thrust

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of center of lift and center of thrust on rockets. The conclusion is reached that they are in the same spot on the rocket as they both come from the engine. However, the center of lift is calculated from all lifting surfaces, even though they only add stability and drag until the rocket travels non-vertical. The importance of lift and its direction is also mentioned, and the individual clarifies their understanding.
Gbl911
I have been thinking about the CoL and CoT on rockets. I came to the conclusion that they are in the exact same spot on the rocket since your thrust and lift come from the same thing in the same place, the engine. I read some forums on other websites but didn't get a clear answer. It would be very helpful if someone could clarify this for me.
Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The center of lift (sometimes called center of pressure) is the point of application of aerodynamic force generated by fins, wings, body, etc. There is a CP for each lifting surface and for the total lift generated by the whole rocket.

Your saying that the center of lift is calculated from all of the fins, body, etc. But if you are traveling perfectly vertical than the fins, body, etc. are only adding stability and drag, no upward force until it starts traveling non-vertical if I am correct. So I am just saying that the exact upward lift and the thrust are both coming from the engine. But the actual defined CoL is calculated by the fins, body, etc.

Thanks for the reply

That's right. When angle of attack is zero, no lift is generated. However, for fins to add stability, they must produce some lift whenever a disturbance occurs. Keep in mind that lift is the component of aerodynamic force perpendicular to the relative wind. The lift vector may point any direction, including sideways or down.

Likes berkeman
AI understand now.

FAQ: Center of Lift vs. Center of Thrust

1. What is the difference between center of lift and center of thrust?

The center of lift is the point on a flying object where the lift force is considered to act, while the center of thrust is the point where the thrust force is considered to act. In simpler terms, the center of lift is the point where the lift force is generated, while the center of thrust is the point where the force that propels the object forward is generated.

2. How do the positions of center of lift and center of thrust affect the stability of a flying object?

The positions of the center of lift and center of thrust are crucial in determining the stability of a flying object. If the center of lift is ahead of the center of thrust, the object will be inherently stable, meaning it will tend to return to its original position if disturbed. On the other hand, if the center of lift is behind the center of thrust, the object will be unstable and difficult to control.

3. Can the center of lift and center of thrust be at the same point?

Yes, the center of lift and center of thrust can be at the same point in some cases. This is known as a neutral stability condition and is commonly seen in rockets. However, this also means that the object will not have any inherent stability and will require constant control inputs to maintain its position.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the positions of center of lift and center of thrust?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in the positions of the center of lift and center of thrust. A streamlined and symmetric shape will have the center of lift and center of thrust located close to each other, resulting in better stability. On the other hand, an asymmetrical or irregular shape can lead to a larger distance between the two points, making the object less stable.

5. Why is it important to consider the positions of center of lift and center of thrust in aircraft design?

The positions of center of lift and center of thrust are critical in aircraft design as they directly affect the stability and controllability of the aircraft. A well-designed aircraft will have the center of lift and center of thrust aligned to ensure optimal stability and control. Failure to consider these factors can result in a dangerous and unstable aircraft.