Center of Mass Movement in Work Integration

In summary, the conversation revolved around a calculus question about finding the work done in lifting a chain to the ceiling. The student attempted to solve the problem using an example from class, but realized it was more complicated as the chain was being lifted to meet the other end at the roof. They also asked for clarification on the distance the center of mass moves and its position in relation to the ceiling before and after the move.
Jet1045
I posted this question in the calculus section but i guess that's the wrong place, so here is my question:

1. Homework Statement

Alright, so my calc class isn't getting easier and we started doing 'work' problems, and I'm just not getting it. Here's the question: A 10ft long weighs 25lbs and hangs from a ceiling. Find the work done in lifting the lower end of the chain to the ceiling so that its level with the upper end.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Alright, so for the interval of [0,10] you would divide it into n subintervals of length Δx.
The weight of the piece would be (25/10)Δx which is simplified to (5/2)Δx

So in class we did an example similar to this but it only involved lifting the cable to the top of the roof, where as this question you are taking the bottom and lifting it to meet the other end at the roof. So i don't think it is as simple as taking the integral from 0 to 10 of (5/2)x like it is for just lifting a chain to the top of the roof.
ANy help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Work = mgh,

what distance does the center of mass move? Where is the center of mass before and after the move in relation to the ceiling?

Related to Center of Mass Movement in Work Integration

What is Work Integration Question?

Work Integration Question is a method used in social sciences to measure an individual's level of integration in the labor market. It is often used in studies related to employment, education, and social inclusion.

How is Work Integration Question used?

Work Integration Question is typically used in surveys or questionnaires to assess an individual's employment status, job satisfaction, and perceived barriers to finding and maintaining employment. It can also be used to compare the employment outcomes of different groups of individuals.

What types of questions are included in Work Integration Question?

The questions included in Work Integration Question typically cover topics such as current employment status, job history, education and training, job satisfaction, income, and perceived barriers to finding employment. These questions may be open-ended or closed-ended.

What are the advantages of using Work Integration Question?

Work Integration Question allows researchers to gather data on an individual's employment status and experience in a systematic and standardized way. It also allows for comparisons to be made between different groups and can provide insights into the barriers and challenges faced by individuals in the labor market.

Are there any limitations to using Work Integration Question?

While Work Integration Question can provide valuable information, it is important to consider the limitations of self-reported data. Additionally, the questions may not capture all aspects of an individual's employment experience, and the results may be influenced by factors such as social desirability bias.