Chern Simons form: calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations in Chern-Simons theory and attempts to prove a specific equation involving field strengths and connections. The question of why the trace of A^4 must equal zero is also brought up. The solution involves understanding the properties of the exterior derivative and the use of the antisymmetry of tensors.
SergejVictorov
Hey folks, I'm trying to understand a couple of calculations in Chern-Simons theory and I'm stuck.

I want to prove the following in four spacetime dimensions:

Let [tex]G[/tex] be a Lie Group with generators [tex]T_{a}[/tex]. Further let
[tex]A=T_{a} A^{a}_{\mu} dx^{\mu}[/tex]
be a connection and
[tex]F=dA+A \wedge A[/tex]
its field strength. Now I want to prove
[tex]Tr F \wedge F= d Tr(A \wedge dA+\frac{2}{3}A\wedge A\wedge A)[/tex]

First I tried the following
[tex]F\wedge F=dA\wedge dA+dA \wedge A\wedge A+A\wedge A\wedge dA+A\wedge A\wedge A\wedge A[/tex]

[tex]d (A \wedge dA+\frac{2}{3}A\wedge A\wedge A)= dA\wedge dA+\frac{2}{3}dA\wedge A\wedge A +\frac{2}{3} A\wedge dA\wedge A+\frac{2}{3} A\wedge A \wedge dA [/tex]

When I take the trace, I can make a [tex]A\wedge A\wedge dA[/tex] into [tex]dA \wedge A\wedge A[/tex], but that leaves the questions of why the trace of [tex]A^4[/tex] has to vanish and where the factors of 2/3 come from.

Alternatively, I tried the following:

Let [tex]A_t=tA[/tex] and
[tex]F_t=dA_t+A_t\wedge A_t=dt\wedgeA+t dA+t^2 A\wedge A[/tex]

Now one can evaluate [tex]Tr F_t \wedge F_t [/tex] and afterwards set t=1. This works out fine, but I still don't understand why the trace of [tex]A^4[/tex] has to vanish.

So for the moment, it all boils down to: why is [tex]Tr A^4=0[/tex]?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
SergejVictorov said:
[tex]d (A \wedge dA+\frac{2}{3}A\wedge A\wedge A)= dA\wedge dA+\frac{2}{3}dA\wedge A\wedge A +\frac{2}{3} A\wedge dA\wedge A+\frac{2}{3} A\wedge A \wedge dA [/tex]

The sign of the third term on the right hand side should be minus, due to antisymmetry of the exterior derivative. We also have
[tex]Tr\left[dA\wedge A\wedge A \right]= \epsilon^{ijkl}Tr\left[(\partial_{i}A_{j})A_{k}A_{l} \right]= \epsilon^{ijkl}Tr\left[A_{l}(\partial_{i}A_{j})A_{k} \right] = -\epsilon^{ijkl}Tr\left[A_{i}(\partial_{j}A_{k})A_{l} \right]=-Tr\left[A\wedge dA\wedge A \right][/tex],
in which the cyclic property of trace and the antisymmetry of the [tex]\displaystyle{\epsilon}[/tex] tensor is used.

[tex]Tr\left[A^{4}\right]=0[/tex] can be proved similarly.

Related to Chern Simons form: calculation

1. What is the Chern Simons form?

The Chern Simons form is a mathematical concept in differential geometry that describes a specific type of differential form. It is named after mathematicians Shiing-Shen Chern and James Harris Simons.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the Chern Simons form?

The Chern Simons form is used in theoretical physics to study topological quantum field theories and in mathematics to understand the topology of manifolds. It also has applications in string theory and knot theory.

3. How is the Chern Simons form calculated?

The Chern Simons form is calculated using differential forms and exterior calculus. The specific formula for the Chern Simons form depends on the geometric structure of the manifold being studied.

4. What is the significance of the Chern Simons form in physics?

The Chern Simons form plays a crucial role in understanding topological quantum field theories, which are important in describing certain physical phenomena. It also has applications in theoretical physics, such as in the study of the Quantum Hall Effect.

5. Can the Chern Simons form be calculated for any manifold?

Yes, the Chern Simons form can be calculated for any smooth manifold. However, the specific formula and properties of the Chern Simons form may vary depending on the geometric structure of the manifold.