Choosing where to go for my undergrad

• Thread starter teh33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school who wants to major in physics and has three schools on their list: Whitman College, Colorado School of Mines, and Idaho State University. Whitman is their top choice due to its reputation and liberal arts program. They have already applied to Colorado School of Mines and are not worried about Idaho State University. Their main concern is their chances of getting into Whitman, as their GPA is a 3.6 and they received a 25 on their first ACT attempt. They plan to retake the ACT and SAT multiple times to improve their scores. They are also a first-generation college student and are wondering if they should apply early decision to Whitman or wait for better test scores and GPA
teh33
So I have 3 schools on my list of where I want to go when I graduate high school. I'm a senior this year going to graduate and major in physics. I live in Idaho.

My three schools right now are Whitman College, Colorado School of Mines, and Idaho State University. Whitman is at the moment my top school since it looks like a really good school and I think I'll like a liberal arts school. I want to go to mines since they have good programs and I think I'd like Denver. Idaho State is my last choice because ill be able to go there for (almost) free and there program is the best in Idaho.

I already applied to Mines, I'm not worrying about ISU, but my big question is if I have a good chance oJf getting into Whitman. At the moment I have a 3.6 weighted GPA (3.4ish unweighted), but it'll go up to around 3.7 this year, 3.8 at the max. First time I took the ACT got a 25, but I know I can do better (I died a little when I got news of this score). So I'm retaking it in October and I know I'll do better since I won't be sick. My SAT was pretty bad too. Like a 1240 or something on a 1600 scale. But I'm going to retake it a few times this year probably (both tests a few times accually).
I'm a first generation college student, Jewish, 50% Russian, fairly active in school and community (4 page activities resume, 1 year cross country, 100s of hours of community service). Do you think I have a good chance of getting in?

Also should I apply early decision to Whitman? It's my top school so I won't mind having to go there come next fall. Or should I wait for better test scores/higher GPA?

Thanks for reading all of that!

PS Any other schools you would recommend I look at?

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is apply then worry about which to go to. For all I know, you can get rejected by all of them or can not afford any of them. Try adding more schools onto that list.

FAQ: Choosing where to go for my undergrad

1. What factors should I consider when choosing where to go for my undergrad?

There are several factors that you should consider when deciding where to attend college for your undergraduate degree. These include the location of the school, the academic programs and majors offered, the reputation and ranking of the school, the cost and financial aid options, and the overall campus culture and community.

2. How important is the location of the school in my decision?

The location of the school can play a significant role in your college experience. Consider whether you prefer a rural, suburban, or urban setting, as well as the distance from your hometown and the accessibility of transportation. Keep in mind that the location can also impact the cost of living and potential internship and job opportunities.

3. How do I know if a school's academic programs are a good fit for me?

Research the majors and programs offered by the school and determine if they align with your interests and career goals. Look into the faculty and their qualifications, as well as any research opportunities or internships available. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get their perspectives on the academic experience.

4. Should I prioritize a school's ranking and reputation?

While a school's ranking and reputation can be important factors to consider, they should not be the sole determinants of your decision. It's important to also consider your personal fit with the school and its programs, as well as the overall value and quality of education you will receive. Remember that rankings and reputations can also change over time.

5. How can I determine the cost of attending a particular school?

Most schools have a cost of attendance calculator on their website that can give you an estimate of tuition, fees, and living expenses. You can also research scholarships, grants, and financial aid options that the school offers. Additionally, consider the cost of living in the school's location and any potential job opportunities to help offset expenses.