Christmas Light/Switchbox Wiring

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for a school project involving the use of light and simple parallel and series wiring to show weight progression. The speaker plans to use a box with 8 bars and 100 Christmas lights, each running on 1.1 volts, with 12 lights per bar and 8 switches to control them. They are unsure about how to power each bar and consider using a single PC power supply, but are advised to consider safety and check the power rating of the supply. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to experiment with strings of 12 lights in series and in parallel to see if the supply can handle the load.
jamekelburg
I have a school project and part of the requirement is to build a circuit that uses light and simple parallel and series wiring to show weight progression. The weight progression being shown is weight being added to a balsa wood tower. What I'm planning on doing is building a box with 8 bars cut in it where I will attach christmas lights in the slots in between. I'm thinking about using about 100 christmas lights. I found they run brightly on about 1.1 volts. I think I'm going to have 12 lights per bar. To turn these bars on and off I have 8 switches so I'll have a separate box in which the switches would be held. I'm wondering how I would go about powering each bar. I know I have to step down the power but I'm unsure about how to go about this. Someone told me a single PC power supply would work. I have a lot of simple electronics supplies like transformers and resistors. Oh and capacitors but I don't know how useful those are. Any suggestions? I'm in America so my outlet is 110v.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF jamekelburg.

You need to know how much current your LEDs draw at 1.1 volts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_circuit"

My advice would be to purchase "wall wort/s" that are UL approved for the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the timely response. Sorry but I didn't specify that they are mini incandescent bulbs, not LEDs. They came on a string of 100 and my wall outlet is 110v so I figured each bulb is 1.1v because I divided the power by the number of bulbs. I heard those circuits are easier to configure.

Considering what you have, I would still consider using some UL listed power source unless you have experience with mains power.

There is a safety issue.

okay so would a PC power supply work? and if not could you post an alternative?

Do you know how many watts your string of 100 bulbs requires? I'm not sure that a PC supply would have enough power available. Do you know how much the PC supply is rated for from the 12 volt output?

I honestly have no idea. I'm not too great with electricity. Here's what the plug says:
120v 0.2A 60Hz 2.5v bulbs

That would mean the power required would be P=IV=(0.2amp)x(120volts)=24 watts.

I don't know what power your PC supply can provide (the 12 volt dc supply line). 24 watts doesn't sound like too much. You could check-out/(experiment) with a [STRIKE]string of 8[/STRIKE] string of 12 (in series) on the 12volt output and see if they are bright enough.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Final thing, but will the parallel or series wiring of the lights affect it because I'm going to have to have half series and half parallel.

dlgoff said:
That would mean the power required would be P=IV=(0.2amp)x(120volts)=24 watts.

I don't know what power your PC supply can provide (the 12 volt dc supply line). 24 watts doesn't sound like too much. You could check-out/(experiment) with a string of 8 on the 12volt output and see if they are bright enough.

This (bold) should have read a string of 12.

jamekelburg said:
Okay thanks. Final thing, but will the parallel or series wiring of the lights affect it because I'm going to have to have half series and half parallel.

If one string of 12 (in series) works without overheating your 12 volt PC supply, then try another string of 12 (in series) in parallel with the first string.

So yes. Parallel each of the 8 sets of 12 bulbs. I hope your supply can handle it. Give it a try.

Related to Christmas Light/Switchbox Wiring

1. How do I choose the right wires for my Christmas lights?

When it comes to Christmas light wiring, it is important to use wires that are designed specifically for outdoor use. Look for wires with a heavy-duty rating, meaning they can withstand the elements and heavy use. Also, make sure the wires are the appropriate gauge for the length and number of lights you plan to use.

2. Can I connect multiple sets of lights to one switchbox?

Yes, you can connect multiple sets of lights to one switchbox as long as the total wattage of the lights does not exceed the maximum wattage rating of the switchbox. It is important to carefully read the instructions and specifications of your switchbox to ensure it can handle the load.

3. How do I know which wire is positive and which is negative?

Typically, the wire with the ridges or ribs on the plastic casing is the positive wire, while the wire with the smooth plastic casing is the negative wire. However, it is always best to use a multimeter to confirm the polarity before connecting your lights to the switchbox.

4. What is the purpose of a fuse in Christmas light wiring?

A fuse is an important safety feature in Christmas light wiring. It is designed to protect the lights and the switchbox from electrical damage in case of a power surge or overload. If the fuse blows, it means there is a problem with the wiring or too many lights connected, and it should be replaced before use.

5. Do I need special tools to connect my Christmas lights to a switchbox?

No, you do not need any special tools to connect your Christmas lights to a switchbox. A pair of wire cutters and wire strippers may come in handy, but most switchboxes come with easy-to-use terminals for connecting wires without any tools. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation.