Coin on Turntable: Find Max Distance w/o Slipping

• Thread starter julz3216
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turntable
In summary, the problem involves determining the maximum distance a coin can be placed from the center of a rotating turntable without slipping off, given the coefficient of static friction and the rotational speed. After attempting to use the given equation, the correct method is to convert the angular velocity to linear velocity and use the relationship between them to solve for the radius.
julz3216

Homework Statement

A coin is placed on a turntable that is rotating at 45.0 rpm. If the coefficient of static friction between the coin and the turntable is 0.186, how far from the center of the turntable can the coin be placed without having it slip off?

Homework Equations

mv^2/r <= usmg
us= coefficient of static friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation and I converted 45 rpms to rad/sec and I got r=12.17 but this is wrong so I don't know what to do. Maybe I am using the wrong equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show more details of your calculations? We can't see what you've done wrong if you don't show your work.

mv^2/r =usmg
v^2/r = usg
(4.71^2)/r <= .186g
22.184 = 1.8228r
r= 12.17

This seems logical to me but it says it is wrong.

Note: the 4.71 rad/s, is angular velocity. You need to convert that to m/s, which is linear velocity. Do you know the relationship between these two? It should be in your textbook.

I think v = omega*r

Where v is the velocity, omega is angular speed (rad/s), and r is the radius.
so v= 4.71r
then (4.71r)^2/r= 22.18r = 1.8228
so r= .082

which is right! thank you!

You're welcome. :smile:

Related to Coin on Turntable: Find Max Distance w/o Slipping

1. What is the purpose of the "Coin on Turntable" experiment?

The purpose of the "Coin on Turntable" experiment is to determine the maximum distance a coin can be placed from the center of a rotating turntable without slipping off. This can help us understand the concept of centripetal force and how it affects objects in circular motion.

2. How is the maximum distance calculated in this experiment?

The maximum distance is calculated by finding the point at which the centripetal force acting on the coin is equal to the frictional force between the coin and the turntable. This can be determined by gradually increasing the distance of the coin from the center of the turntable until it begins to slip off.

3. What factors can affect the maximum distance in this experiment?

The maximum distance can be affected by several factors, including the mass and size of the coin, the rotational speed of the turntable, the material and texture of the turntable surface, and the presence of any external forces such as air resistance.

4. How does the "Coin on Turntable" experiment relate to real-world applications?

This experiment can help us understand the principles of centripetal force and friction, which are important in many real-world applications such as amusement park rides, car tires on curved roads, and the dynamics of rotating machinery.

5. What are some possible sources of error in this experiment?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment include variations in the rotational speed of the turntable, inconsistencies in the surface texture of the turntable, and human error in measuring the maximum distance. It is important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average to minimize these errors.

Back