Combination of conservation laws, and older things. Need Help.

In summary, the problem involves a wooden block on a horizontal table with a bullet shot into it. The block moves and lands on the floor a distance D from the edge of the table. The solution involves finding the final velocity of the block on the table, using energy law and projectile motion relations, and taking into consideration the block's initial position in the middle of the table. The final equation is Vi= √(μ.g.L+(D2g)/4h)*√2*((M+m)/m).
yttuncel

Homework Statement

A small wooden block, of mass M, lies in the middle of a horizontal table of length L
and height h above the floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between this block
and the surface of the table is μ. A bullet, of mass m, is shot with a horizontal
velocity into the block. As a result, the block (with the embedded bullet) starts
moving across the table and finally lands on the floor a horizontal distance D from
the edge of the table. Use this information to find the speed of the bullet.

Homework Equations

ΔP=0 , f = N.μ, ΔE = Woth (1/2mV2 or mgh or f.x), x=V.t, h=1/2gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Vi= speed of the bullet

Well, first i found the final velocity of the block on the table with the bullet inside, then applied energy law to the block BTWN the moments 1 to 2. (1. just off the table 2. on the ground & stopped.) Then i found t, to calculate D from projectile motion relations, and used all i found in the energy law; thus i found :

Vi= √(μ.L+(D2g)/4h)*√2*((M+m)/m)

Is that answer true, I could not find it anywhere else so I need verification please ...
Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Vi= √(μ.L+(D2g)/4h)*√2*((M+m)/m)

How can you add L + D2g/4h? Something is wrong.

mu*L has dimensions of length
2g*D/4h does not have dimension of length

You also have an inelastic collision here.

It is not 2g, it is D^2 times g. But still the dimensions are not alike.

So how should i do it? Give me some advice please.

I got a slightly different answer to you yttuncel. I think you should go through it once again. You can tell it is not right because this: μ.L doesn't have the correct units.

Your answer is close, so maybe you accidentally wrote something in the wrong place while doing the calculation?

By the way LawrenceC, I did not applied the energy law directly before the collision, I found the velocity after collision then applied energy law. So as energy after collision is conserved, that would be no problem I think.

BruceW, is it Vi= √(μ.g.L+(D2g)/4h)*√2*((M+m)/m) ?

I forgot putting g in Normal force :/

You are even closer, but still not quite right. Did you take into consideration that the block only traveled a distance L/2 along the table? (Since it was originally placed in the middle)

Then delta P = 0 is conservation of momentum. Fine...I did not realize that's what it meant upon first looking at post.

Last edited:
Didnt even see that mentioned in the question :/ Thank you both for your comments and help :)

Edit: I think I did it wrong again. Because the final velocity on the table is not equal to the velocity just after the collision

Edit2: Ok got it. Lol. Thanks again!

Last edited:

FAQ: Combination of conservation laws, and older things. Need Help.

1. What are conservation laws?

Conservation laws are fundamental principles in physics that state that certain physical quantities, such as mass, energy, and momentum, remain constant in a closed system.

2. How do conservation laws apply to older things?

Conservation laws apply to all physical systems, regardless of their age. They are universal principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. Are there different types of conservation laws?

Yes, there are several types of conservation laws, including the conservation of mass, energy, momentum, angular momentum, and electric charge.

4. Can conservation laws be violated?

No, conservation laws are considered to be fundamental and absolute. They have been extensively tested and have always been found to hold true, making them one of the most important principles in physics.

5. How are conservation laws used in scientific research?

Conservation laws are used in scientific research to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. They are also used to develop new theories and technologies, such as in the fields of energy and environmental conservation.