Complex analysis proof with residue theorem, argument principle

In summary, the problem involves finding the polynomial P(z) of degree n-1 with specific properties, given a regular curve C and an analytic function f(w) in a region containing C. The solution involves using the argument principle and the residue theorem to simplify the integral to (p'(w)\divp(w))\timesf(w)dw, and then using the given points to show that P(z) satisfies the desired conditions. This problem is from Bak and Newman's Complex Analysis, third edition, chapter 10.
nate9228

Homework Statement

Let C be a regular curve enclosing the distinct points w1,..., wn and let p(w)= (w-w1)(w-w2)...(w-wn). Suppose that f(w) is analytic in a region that includes C. Show that P(z)= (1/2[itex]\pi[/itex]i)∫(f(w)[itex]\div[/itex]p(w))[itex]\times[/itex]((p(w)-p(z)[itex]\div[/itex](w-z))[itex]\times[/itex]dw
is a polynomial of degree n-1 with P(wk) = f(wk), k= 1,2,...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I know this has something to do with the argument principle and possibly the residue theorem. I believe the inside of the integral reduces to (p'(w)[itex]\div[/itex]p(w))[itex]\times[/itex]f(w)dw, which is why I think the argument principle pertains to this problem. After this I am not sure what to do. This problem is from Bak and Newman Complex Analysis, third edition, chapter 10, if anyone is familiar with the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, the code did not turn out at all how I thought it was going to. I apologize for this confusion; I used the symbols button and just assumed they would translate to standard notation.

FAQ: Complex analysis proof with residue theorem, argument principle

1. What is the residue theorem in complex analysis?

The residue theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows for the calculation of complex integrals by using the residues (singular points) of a function. It states that the value of a complex integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues inside the curve.

2. How is the residue theorem used in proofs?

The residue theorem can be used to simplify the calculation of complex integrals in proofs. By finding the residues of a function at its singular points, the integral can be broken down into smaller, more manageable parts. This simplification allows for easier evaluation and ultimately helps prove mathematical statements.

3. What is the argument principle in complex analysis?

The argument principle is a theorem that relates the number of zeros and poles of a complex-valued function to the winding number of its contour integral around a closed curve. This principle is often used in conjunction with the residue theorem to prove mathematical statements involving complex functions.

4. How is the argument principle used in proofs?

The argument principle is used in proofs to show that the number of zeros and poles of a complex function inside a closed curve is equal to the winding number of the contour integral around the curve. This information can then be used to simplify the proof by reducing the integral to a sum of residues, which can be calculated using the residue theorem.

5. What are some common applications of the residue theorem and argument principle?

The residue theorem and argument principle have many applications in complex analysis, including the calculation of complex integrals, finding the number of zeros and poles of a function, and evaluating infinite series. They are also frequently used in the study of complex functions and their properties, such as analyticity and meromorphicity.

Back