Complex number sum that should be easy

In summary, you are having trouble performing the Gram Schmidt process correctly. You are missing the complex conjugate of your initial vector when performing the inner product.
trap101
Hey,

So I have a sum of complex numbers that really should be easy, but I'm not getting the right solution. It is with respct to using the Gram Schmidt process

U1 = (i, -1, i) U2 = (1,1,0)

So I perform the Gram Schmidt with U1 being my initial vector selection and I get:

V2 = (1,1,0) - [(-1 + i)/3 ] (i, -1 , i)

and here is where the issue arises. Now I did regular subtraction w.r.t complex numbers and got:

[ (4 + i)/ 3, (2+i)/3 , (1+i)/3]

but the solution is:

[(2+i)/3 , (2-i)/3, (-1+i)/3 ]

my vector is not orthogonal, so my question is what am I missing with respect to this?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Hey,

So I have a sum of complex numbers that really should be easy, but I'm not getting the right solution. It is with respct to using the Gram Schmidt process

So I perform the Gram Schmidt with U1 being my initial vector selection and I get:

and here is where the issue arises. Now I did regular subtraction w.r.t complex numbers and got:

but the solution is:

my vector is not orthogonal, so my question is what am I missing with respect to this?

thanks

You are probably missing that dot product of complex vectors involves taking a complex conjugate of one of the vectors. And <u1,u2> is not necessarily equal to <u2,u1>. Do it again and be careful.

trap101 said:
Hey,

but the solution is:

thanks

I checked the solution vector by dotting u1 with (their) v2, and got a value of zero. Are you forgetting that if u and v are complex vectors, then ##u \cdot v = \sum u_i * \overline{v_i}##? IOW, you need to use the complex conjugate?

Show us how you calculated v2.

Also, you are dividing by "3" when you should be dividing by [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex].

This is how I got my V2

V2 = U2 - {[<(i, -1 , i) , (1,1,0)>]/ [<(i, -1 , i), (i, -1 , i)>]} (i, -1, i)

ok, well I figured it out, and well I'm having a big conundrum here. Essentially it came down to the order in which I performed the hermitian inner product. But I had dubbed
U1 = (i, -1 , i) and when I used the GS formula I did my inner product as:

<V1, U2 >. Doing it that way I got the wrong result, but doing it <U2, V1> I got the right result. Which brings up the question, of which is the way it is supposed to be and is that way fixed? Because when doing the inner product w.r.t just the reals this problem doesn't arise.

Thanks for the help.

FAQ: Complex number sum that should be easy

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the imaginary unit).

2. How do you add complex numbers?

To add complex numbers, you simply add the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 + 4i) = (3 + 1) + (2 + 4)i = 4 + 6i.

3. What does it mean for a complex number sum to be easy?

In general, a complex number sum is considered easy if the imaginary parts cancel out and you are left with only a real number. This is because it is easier to work with and visualize real numbers compared to complex numbers.

4. Can you give an example of an easy complex number sum?

One example of an easy complex number sum is (5 + 3i) + (2 - 3i). When you add these two complex numbers, the imaginary parts (-3i and 3i) cancel out and you are left with the real number 7.

5. Why is it important to understand complex number sums?

Understanding complex number sums is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as in electronics and signal processing. Having a strong understanding of complex numbers can also help with problem solving and critical thinking skills.