Compton Effect: Finding Final KE of Electron

In summary, the Compton effect involves a .150nm photon colliding with a stationary electron and causing it to move forward while the photon recoils backwards. To find the final kinetic energy of the electron, the collision conservation laws can be used by calculating the momentum of the photon and finding the speed of the electron.
stinger302

Homework Statement

In the compton effect a .150nm photon strikes a free staionary electron in a head-on elastic collision and knocks it into the foward direction. The rebounding photon recoils directly backwards. Use the collision conservation laws to find the final kinetic energy of the electron

Homework Equations

P = h/lambda
Ek = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

All i know is i need the momentum of the photon which is p =h/lambda = 4.42e-24 kg m/s basically i just need to know how to find the speed of the elctron which i can sub into ek = 1/2mv^2

Physics news on Phys.org
would it not be c?

is it, i didn't think that electrons could travel at c

Related to Compton Effect: Finding Final KE of Electron

1. What is the Compton effect?

The Compton effect, also known as Compton scattering, is a phenomenon in which a photon (particle of light) collides with an electron, causing the photon to lose energy and change direction. This results in an increase in the electron's kinetic energy.

2. How is the final kinetic energy of the electron calculated in the Compton effect?

The final kinetic energy of the electron can be calculated using the equation KE = hf - hf', where KE is the final kinetic energy, hf is the initial energy of the photon, and hf' is the energy of the scattered photon. This equation takes into account the change in energy of the photon after it collides with the electron.

3. How does the Compton effect support the wave-particle duality of light?

The Compton effect supports the wave-particle duality of light by demonstrating that light can behave like both a wave and a particle. The photon that collides with the electron acts as a particle, while the scattered photon behaves like a wave as it changes direction and loses energy.

4. What is the significance of the Compton effect in modern physics?

The Compton effect has significant implications in modern physics, as it provides evidence for the existence of photons and their particle-like behavior. It also helps to explain the behavior of X-rays and gamma rays, and has applications in fields such as medical imaging and materials science.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Compton effect?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of the Compton effect. One of the most well-known is in medical imaging, where X-rays are used to create images of bones and soft tissues. The Compton effect is also used in materials science to study the structure and composition of materials. Additionally, it has applications in astronomy, as it can be used to study the properties of distant objects in the universe.