Connection between Free Energy and Action

In summary, the connection between free energy and action is not immediately clear, as they have different units and are used in different contexts in physics. However, there may be a deeper connection between the two and some theories suggest that minimizing free energy is related to the principle of least action. Further research and analysis is needed to fully understand the relationship between the two concepts.
physengineer
Could anyone please, explain the connection between the Free Energy and the Action?
I know the definitions of each but not sure about the connection.

I read somewhere that the free energy is the same as the action when calculated "on-shell". What does this "on-shell" thing mean in this context?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think "Free Energy" and "Action" mean?
You need to provide a lot more information if you want people to know of what you are speaking of.
As it stands; for me "Free Energy" is internet fun and "Action" is movement of an solid.

I don't think the free energy can ever be the same as the action .. they have different units. Action is (joules)*(sec), while free energy is just joules.

Action is a bit tricky to define .. it is generally easier to understand in the general sense. The principle of least action tells us that for classical mechanics, the path followed by a system that is moving between two configurations is the path of least action. You can look at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_%28physics%29" to get a mathematical definition of the action (which may or may not make much sense to you, depending on your background in mathematics and classical physics).

Another point is that in physics, free-energy is a thermodynamic concept relating to statistical averages over large numbers of particles. You can calculate the Gibbs free energy or the Helmholtz free energy for an ensemble of particles, but I don't know what either of them have to do with the action. Usually you would use the action when you will be tracking the trajectories of individual particles, and the free energy to express thermodynamic averages for systems containing too many particles to track individually.

It is possible that there may be a deeper connection .. certainly there is a preference in natural systems to evolve so as to minimize the free energy of the system. That sounds sort of analogous to the principle of least action ... it may be that the tendency to minimize the free energy is some sort of statistical manifestation of the principle of least action. That would make sense to me, but at the moment I do not know how to derive the connection. I will check my statistical thermodynamics books tomorrow to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Connection between Free Energy and Action

What is the concept of free energy?

Free energy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy in a system that is available to do work. It is the energy that is not tied up in the system's internal energy or used for its entropy.

How does free energy relate to action?

In physics, the concept of action refers to the total energy expended by a system over a period of time. Free energy is one component of this total energy, and it is the part that is available to do work. Therefore, free energy is closely related to action as it represents the energy that can be used to cause change or movement.

What is the role of free energy in chemical reactions?

In chemical reactions, free energy plays a crucial role in determining whether the reaction will occur spontaneously or not. If the free energy change is negative, the reaction is exothermic and will occur spontaneously. If the free energy change is positive, the reaction is endothermic and will not occur spontaneously unless energy is supplied.

How does the concept of free energy apply to living organisms?

Living organisms constantly utilize free energy to carry out various biological processes such as metabolism, growth, and movement. The energy from food is converted into usable forms, such as adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which can be used to power cellular activities. Free energy is also important in maintaining the organization and structure of living systems.

What are the different types of free energy?

There are two main types of free energy: Helmholtz free energy (A) and Gibbs free energy (G). Helmholtz free energy applies to systems at constant temperature and volume, while Gibbs free energy applies to systems at constant temperature and pressure. Both types of free energy are used to determine the spontaneity of a reaction or process.