Constructive & destructive interference of light waves

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a glass plate of 350 nm thickness, a light source at a 75 degree angle, and a screen for observing reflections. The question asks for the conditions for constructive and destructive interference on the screen, and the use of Snell's law is suggested. The conversation also mentions the possibility of reflections from multiple surfaces.
necromanzer52

Homework Statement

A glass-plate of 350 nm thickness is free standing in space. At the angle of 75 degrees, relative to the glass-plate plane, a white light point-source is placed. The diffraction (probably a typo, and should really be refraction) index of the glass is 1.33. On the same side as the light source, a screen is placed, allowing the observation of the reflections from the glass-plate.
Derive, explicitly, the conditions for the observation of constructive and destructive interference on the screen.

Homework Equations

I really have no idea, other than; that Snell's law should probably come into it at some stage.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram, and I used Snell's law to work out the angle of refraction. I sat still for half an hour, reading the question over and over, trying to figure out what interference had to do with anything in the question.
I really just need to know, where to start. I have no idea how to begin to attempt this question

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think the 350 nm specification might have anything to do with it? Could there be reflections from more than one surface?

Well, this is just the first part of the question.

Oh yeah, reflections from more than one surface. That's a lot of help actually. Thanks.
I'd ask for more hints, but I have to go hand it in now.

Related to Constructive & destructive interference of light waves

1. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference of light waves?

Constructive interference occurs when two light waves combine to create a stronger, brighter wave. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two light waves cancel each other out and create a weaker or completely absent wave.

2. How does the wavelength of light waves affect constructive and destructive interference?

The wavelength of light waves plays a crucial role in constructive and destructive interference. When the wavelengths of two light waves are in phase (aligned), they will experience constructive interference. When they are out of phase (not aligned), they will experience destructive interference.

3. Can constructive and destructive interference occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, constructive and destructive interference can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves.

4. How is the intensity of light affected by constructive and destructive interference?

The intensity of light is directly related to the amplitude of the light wave. In constructive interference, the amplitudes of the two waves add together, resulting in a brighter light. In destructive interference, the amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a dimmer or no light.

5. How is constructive and destructive interference used in practical applications?

Constructive and destructive interference are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in noise cancelling headphones, optical coatings, and interferometers used in scientific measurements. They are also used in diffraction gratings and interferometers to study the properties of light and other waves.