Convergent/Divergent, find sum

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, we can determine the convergence of a series by finding the limit as n approaches infinity. If the limit is zero, it does not necessarily mean the series is convergent. We must also consider other factors such as the summands.
iRaid

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, find its sum.
[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{e^n}+\frac{1}{n(n+1)})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found it's convergent:
[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} ((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{(n^{2}+n)})=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} ((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})=0+0+0[/tex]
∴ the sum is convergent.

Now how would I find the sum of the series?

Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, find its sum.
[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{e^n}+\frac{1}{n(n+1)})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found it's convergent:
[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} ((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{(n^{2}+n)})=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} ((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})=0+0+0[/tex]
∴ the sum is convergent.

Now how would I find the sum of the series?

Having a limit of 0 doesn't show it's convergent. (1/e)^n is geometric. The other two terms from a telescoping series. Find the sums separately.

Dick said:
Having a limit of 0 doesn't show it's convergent. (1/e)^n is geometric. The other two terms from a telescoping series. Find the sums separately.

My professor said that a limit as n approaches infinity that equals zero means the series is convergent.. And I see what you're saying about the sum. Now I'm just confused on the convergent part.
Edit:
For the (1/e)^n I guess you could also say that since |1/e|<1, the series is convergent.

iRaid said:
My professor said that a limit as n approaches infinity that equals zero means the series is convergent.. And I see what you're saying about the sum. Now I'm just confused on the convergent part.
Edit:
For the (1/e)^n I guess you could also say that since |1/e|<1, the series is convergent.

Right for the (1/e)^n. And I hope that's not really what your professor said. If the limit is NOT zero, then it's NOT convergent. Approaching zero doesn't mean it converges. 1/n approaches zero but the series 1/n is not convergent.

Dick said:
Right for the (1/e)^n. And I hope that's not really what your professor said. If the limit is NOT zero, then it's NOT convergent. Approaching zero doesn't mean it converges. 1/n approaches zero but the series 1/n is not convergent.

Oh I see the problem here. 1/n is a harmonic series and divergent. Now how would I go about proving it is convergent?

Also I just checked me notes it says the following:
If [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}[/itex] is convergent, then [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=0[/itex] and the opposite if an does not equal 0.

I think there is a difference in what I said and what my notes say right?

iRaid said:
Oh I see the problem here. 1/n is a harmonic series and divergent. Now how would I go about proving it is convergent?

You know that the (1/e)^n part is convergent and you know it's sum. Now do the 1/n-1/(n+1) part. Like I said, it telescopes. If you know those two parts converge then the sum converges.

iRaid said:
Also I just checked me notes it says the following:
If [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}[/itex] is convergent, then [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=0[/itex] and the opposite if an does not equal 0.

I think there is a difference in what I said and what my notes say right?

Yes, what you quoted doesn't say that if the limit is 0 then the sum converges.

Dick said:
You know that the (1/e)^n part is convergent and you know it's sum. Now do the 1/n-1/(n+1) part. Like I said, it telescopes. If you know those two parts converge then the sum converges.

Ok then I did it correctly.
Thank you, again.

Dick said:
Yes, what you quoted doesn't say that if the limit is 0 then the sum converges.

So you cannot say the opposite, if [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_{n}=0[/itex] then [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{n}[/itex] converges.?

iRaid said:
So you cannot say the opposite, if [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_{n}=0[/itex] then [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{n}[/itex] converges.?

Doesn't the example of ##a_n=1/n## show that you can't?

Dick said:
Doesn't the example of ##a_n=1/n## show that you can't?

I mean are there any other examples of this, other than the harmonic series?

iRaid said:
I mean are there any other examples of this, other than the harmonic series?

Many. 1/n^(1/2) doesn't converge. 1/log(n) doesn't converge. log(n)/n doesn't converge. But the limits are all zero.

Dick said:
Many. 1/n^(1/2) doesn't converge. 1/log(n) doesn't converge. log(n)/n doesn't converge. But the limits are all zero.

Alright, thanks a lot.

FAQ: Convergent/Divergent, find sum

1. What is the difference between convergent and divergent series?

Convergent series are mathematical series that have a finite sum, meaning that the terms in the series eventually approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. Divergent series, on the other hand, do not have a finite sum and the terms in the series do not approach a specific value.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series is convergent or divergent, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and their relationship to each other.

3. What is the sum of a convergent series?

The sum of a convergent series is the value that the terms in the series approach as the number of terms increases. This can be found by adding up all the terms in the series or by using a mathematical formula, depending on the specific series.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series can only have one behavior, either convergent or divergent, depending on the behavior of its terms.

5. Why is it important to know if a series is convergent or divergent?

Knowing if a series is convergent or divergent is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, statistics, and physics. It allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions, and to understand the behavior of different systems and phenomena.