Coordinate of side of a irregular polgyon

• B
  • Thread starter NotASmurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinate
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a single expression to calculate the coordinates of the ends of an irregular polygon using a list of line lengths and angles. The speaker also requests clarification on the information needed, such as the starting point and whether the angles refer to adjacent segments or the bearing of each segment. Finally, the speaker provides an answer they found on a math website.
NotASmurf
Hey all, I have a list of line lengths and angles, but only the angles between line n and n-1, can't find a single expression to get the coordinate that works for all cases, i tried
[itex] \sum{\sqrt{\frac{L^2 -c^2}{tan(\sum{\theta})^2+1}}}[/itex] and similar expressions but they all assume triangles can be constructed for each out of straight line functions, which isn't the case, any help appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you have and what you are trying to compute.

Here are some questions:
What is the list of line angles? Is it the angle between adjacent segments? Or is it the bearing of each segment?
If it's the angle between adjacent segments, you need the bearing on one segment.

You will also need the starting point. For example, perhaps the vertex between the first and last segment is at (0,0).

Finally, the coordinates of the other vertices can be determined by accumulating changes in X and Y from your starting point.
x1 = x0 + sin(B0)*L0
x2 = x1 + sin(B1)*L1

where B0, B1, ... are the angle of the lines clockwise from the X axis and the L's are the lengths.

But the key is to determine exactly what you are starting with in the way of information.

FAQ: Coordinate of side of a irregular polgyon

1. How do you determine the coordinates of a side of an irregular polygon?

To determine the coordinates of a side of an irregular polygon, you first need to identify the vertices or corners of the polygon. Then, you can use the distance formula to find the length of each side, and the slope formula to determine the slope of each side. Finally, you can use these values to determine the coordinates of each side by plotting points along the side at equal intervals.

2. Can you use the same method for finding the coordinates of a side of any polygon?

Yes, the method for finding the coordinates of a side of an irregular polygon can be applied to any polygon. However, the calculations may become more complex for polygons with a larger number of sides or unique shapes.

3. Are there any shortcuts for finding the coordinates of a side of an irregular polygon?

There are no shortcuts for finding the coordinates of a side of an irregular polygon. Each side must be analyzed and calculated individually in order to determine its coordinates.

4. How can I check if my calculated coordinates for a side of an irregular polygon are correct?

You can check the accuracy of your calculated coordinates by plotting them on a graph and visually comparing them to the polygon. Alternatively, you can use the distance formula and slope formula to double check your calculations.

5. Is it possible for a side of an irregular polygon to have the same coordinates as another side?

No, it is not possible for two sides of an irregular polygon to have the same coordinates. Each side is defined by its own unique set of coordinates, even if they appear to be parallel or overlapping.