CR Circuit Question (Calculus)

In summary, a CR circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a capacitor and a resistor, used for filtering or manipulating signals in electronic devices. Its purpose is to control the flow of electrical current by storing and releasing energy through the capacitor and dissipating it through the resistor. The capacitor charges and discharges, controlled by the resistor, allowing for signal manipulation. The time constant of a CR circuit is calculated by multiplying the capacitance and resistance, and it determines the rate of charging and discharging, which affects the circuit's behavior and capabilities.
will.i.am2
A capacitor and resistor are connected as shown across a 10V d.c. supply. The voltage across the capacitor will increase at an exponential rate given by the equation
v = V - Vet/CR
a) Plot the graph of the capacitor voltage from the equation for values of t between 0 and 24 seconds.
vc = V (1-et/CR) , V = 10v, Capacitor = 100µF, Resistor = 47kΩ
CR = 100µF times 47kΩ = 4.7
done part a. but I need someone to check it for me please?

(b)From the graph determine its gradient at t = 5 seconds.
I have done the graph and after calculating it; it gives me a gradient of -10? I don't know if that's the right answer.

(c) Using calculus determine the gradient of the equation and from this the gradient when t = 5 seconds.
I have attempted it my way and I am not getting the right answer. I have been told by the teacher that the answer should be in minus and both gradient answer should be close.
So, any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Attachments

• a part.jpg
    a part.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 378
  • using calculus.jpg
    using calculus.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
will.i.am2 said:
A capacitor and resistor are connected as shown across a 10V d.c. supply. The voltage across the capacitor will increase at an exponential rate given by the equation
v = V - Vet/CR
a) Plot the graph of the capacitor voltage from the equation for values of t between 0 and 24 seconds.
vc = V (1-et/CR) , V = 10v, Capacitor = 100µF, Resistor = 47kΩ
CR = 100µF times 47kΩ = 4.7
done part a. but I need someone to check it for me please?(b)From the graph determine its gradient at t = 5 seconds.
I have done the graph and after calculating it; it gives me a gradient of -10? I don't know if that's the right answer.
That's not what you show in the attached image, which is -0.1. Is the slope -10 or -.1? The slope is the vertical rise (or drop) divided by the horizontal run.
will.i.am2 said:
(c) Using calculus determine the gradient of the equation and from this the gradient when t = 5 seconds.
I have attempted it my way and I am not getting the right answer.
Your derivative is incorrect. You are not using the chain rule correctly.

Also, be consistent with the letters you use. You are using both V and v, which is confusing, since these could represent different quantities.
will.i.am2 said:
I have been told by the teacher that the answer should be in minus and both gradient answer should be close.
So, any help would be appreciated.
thanks
One more thing: since this is a calculus problem, it should NOT be posted in the Precalculus section. I am moving it to the Calculus & Beyond section.

Related to CR Circuit Question (Calculus)

1. What is a CR circuit?

A CR circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a capacitor (C) and a resistor (R). It is used to filter or manipulate signals in electronic devices.

2. What is the purpose of a CR circuit?

The purpose of a CR circuit is to control the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It does this by storing and releasing electrical energy through the capacitor, which is then dissipated by the resistor. This allows for the filtering, smoothing, or time-delaying of signals in electronic devices.

3. How does a CR circuit work?

In a CR circuit, the capacitor stores electrical energy as it charges, and then releases it as it discharges. The resistor controls the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges, thus controlling the flow of current in the circuit. This process allows for the manipulation of signals in electronic devices.

4. How do you calculate the time constant of a CR circuit?

The time constant (τ) of a CR circuit is calculated by multiplying the capacitance (C) of the capacitor in farads by the resistance (R) of the resistor in ohms. τ = RC

5. What is the significance of the time constant in a CR circuit?

The time constant determines the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges, and therefore affects the behavior of the circuit. A longer time constant results in slower charging and discharging, while a shorter time constant results in faster charging and discharging. This can impact the filtering and time-delaying capabilities of the circuit.

Back