Delta-Epsilon Proof of a Limit with 2 Variables

In summary: That should give you a way to make sure the whole expression is less than ##\epsilon##.I don't understand.That isn't what the triangle inequality gives you. It says ##|a + b| \le |a| + |b|## so you would get$$|5x^3-x^2y^2-1|\le |5(x-1)(x^2+x+1)-4(x-1)(x+1)-x^2(y-2)(y+2)|$$ $$\le 5|x-1| |x^2+x+1|+4|x-1| |x+1|+|x^2||y-2||y+2|
stumpoman

Homework Statement

Prove using the formal definition of a limit that
[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (1,2)} 5x^3-x^2y^2[/tex]
is equal to 1.

Homework Equations

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (1,2)} 5x^3-x^2y^2\\
\left \| \overline{x}-\overline{a} \right \|< \delta
\\
\left | f(\overline{x})-L \right |<\epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+(y-2)^2}<\delta\\
\left | 5x^3-x^2y^2-1 \right |<\epsilon[/tex]
I have no idea where to go from there. I can't figure out how to manipulate the second equation to resemble the first.

Physics news on Phys.org
stumpoman said:

Homework Statement

is equal to 1.

Homework Equations

\\

I have no idea where to go from there. I can't figure out how to manipulate the second equation to resemble the first.

Perhaps I don't have the best ( biggest or smallest depending on what you want ) possible neighborhood with the delta I found, but :

##δ = min \{ 1, \sqrt[4]{ε/6} \}## will suffice I believe.

Use the fact that ##0 < |x-1|, |y-2| < δ## to deduce it and possibly get an even better delta ( Trust me I was being lazy here, you can probably do much much better than the value I've given ).

Last edited:
stumpoman said:

Homework Statement

is equal to 1.

Homework Equations

\\

I wouldn't try to make it resemble the first. Try thinking about it this way. You do know that you can make both ##|x-1|## and ##|y-2|## small. And you are trying to make$$
|5x^3-x^2y^2-1|$$small. Now, you know that ##5x^3## is going to get close to ##5##, so let's subtract and add ##5##:$$
|5x^3-5 + 5-x^2y^2-1| = |5(x^3-1)+4-x^2y^2|$$Now that ##x^2y^2## term is going to get close to ##4x^2## as ##y## gets close to ##2##, so let's add and subtract ##4x^2##:$$
|5(x^3-1)+4-x^2y^2 - 4x^2+4x^2|=|5(x^3-1)+4(1-x^2)+x^2(4-y^2)|$$Now do you see how to make it small?

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
I wouldn't try to make it resemble the first. Try thinking about it this way. You do know that you can make both ##|x-1|## and ##|y-2|## small. And you are trying to make$$
|5x^3-x^2y^2-1|$$small. Now, you know that ##5x^3## is going to get close to ##5##, so let's subtract and add ##5##:$$
|5x^3-5 + 5-x^2y^2-1| = |5(x^3-1)+4-x^2y^2|$$Now that ##x^2y^2## term is going to get close to ##4x^2## as ##y## gets close to ##2##, so let's add and subtract ##4x^2##:$$
|5(x^3-1)+4-x^2y^2 - 4x^2+4x^2|=|5(x^3-1)+4(1-x^2)+x^2(4-y^2)|$$Now do you see how to make it small?
so you end up with this?
[tex]|5(x-1)(x^2+x+1)-4(x-1)(x+1)-x^2(y-2)(y+2)|<\epsilon[/tex]
I see that it contains 3 terms with factors less than delta but I must be missing a some concept here.

stumpoman said:
so you end up with this?
I see that it contains 3 terms with factors less than delta but I must be missing a some concept here.

If you want to follow the path that LC is taking, apply the triangle inequality to what you have right now.

stumpoman said:
so you end up with this?

Zondrina said:
If you want to follow the path that LC is taking, apply the triangle inequality to what you have right now.

Yes, and each term has something you can make small multiplied by factors you can keep bounded.

Zondrina said:
Does that mean
[tex]5(x^2+x+1)(x-1)-4(x-1)|x+1|-x^2(y-2)|y+2|<\epsilon[/tex]
LCKurtz said:
Yes, and each term has something you can make small multiplied by factors you can keep bounded.
I don't understand.

stumpoman said:
so you end up with this?

Actually, you don't have it less than ##\epsilon## yet; that is your goal. What you do have is that$$
|5x^3-x^2y^2-1|\le |5(x-1)(x^2+x+1)-4(x-1)(x+1)-x^2(y-2)(y+2)|$$
LCKurtz said:

stumpoman said:
Does that mean
[tex]5(x^2+x+1)(x-1)-4(x-1)|x+1|-x^2(y-2)|y+2|<\epsilon[/tex]

I don't understand.

That isn't what the triangle inequality gives you. It says ##|a + b| \le |a| + |b|## so you would get$$
|5x^3-x^2y^2-1|\le |5(x-1)(x^2+x+1)-4(x-1)(x+1)-x^2(y-2)(y+2)|$$ $$\le 5|x-1| |x^2+x+1|+4|x-1| |x+1|+|x^2||y-2||y+2|$$You want to make the whole thing less than ##\epsilon##, which you could do by making each term less than ##\epsilon/3##. You know you can make both ##|x-1|## and ##|y-2|## as small as you want. So if the other terms don't get too big you should be able to make it work. Remember ##x## and ##y## can't be just anything because they are getting close to ##1## and ##2##, respectively. So say you make sure ##\delta < 1## so both x and y are within 1 of their limits. Then how big can the extra x and y expressions be? Overestimate some more then figure out what ##\delta## will work.

FAQ: Delta-Epsilon Proof of a Limit with 2 Variables

1. What is a Delta-Epsilon Proof of a Limit with 2 Variables?

A Delta-Epsilon Proof of a Limit with 2 Variables is a mathematical method used to rigorously prove the existence of a limit for a function with two independent variables. It involves finding a specific value for delta (Δ) that corresponds to a given value of epsilon (ε) to prove that the function approaches a specific limit as the variables get closer to a certain point.

2. How does a Delta-Epsilon Proof work?

A Delta-Epsilon Proof works by first choosing a value for epsilon (ε), which represents the desired level of precision for the limit. Then, a corresponding value for delta (Δ) is determined such that when the distance between the two variables is within delta of a given point, the difference in the function values will be less than epsilon. This proves that the function approaches a specific limit as the variables get closer to that point.

3. What is the importance of a Delta-Epsilon Proof in mathematics?

Delta-Epsilon Proofs are important in mathematics because they provide a rigorous and precise way to prove the existence of limits for functions with two variables. They also help to establish the continuity and differentiability of functions, which are fundamental concepts in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Delta-Epsilon Proof?

One limitation of a Delta-Epsilon Proof is that it can be a lengthy and tedious process, especially for more complex functions. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find a suitable value for delta (Δ) that satisfies the criteria for a given value of epsilon (ε). In these cases, alternative methods of proving limits may be necessary.

5. Can a Delta-Epsilon Proof be used for functions with more than 2 variables?

Yes, a Delta-Epsilon Proof can be extended to functions with more than 2 variables. However, the process becomes more complex as the number of variables increases, and the proof may require a higher level of mathematical knowledge and skill to complete.