Deriving the FLRW Metric: 4D Euclidean Space Needed?

In summary: So, in summary, Weinberg shows that it's possible to find maximally symmetric spaces using symmetry, and that the curvature and the signature of the metric uniquely determine the space (at least locally and up to an isometry).
kent davidge
Why is it needed to consider a 4D Euclidean space to introduce the FLRW metric? Is it because with a fourth parameter, we can set the radius of the 4D sphere formed with the four parametres as constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need to consider a 4D Euclidean space to introduce the FLRW metric? It's a Lorentzian manifold, and you just ask for the spacetimes with maximally symmetric spaces.

vanhees71 said:
Why do you need to consider a 4D Euclidean space to introduce the FLRW metric? It's a Lorentzian manifold, and you just ask for the spacetimes with maximally symmetric spaces.
Thanks

kent davidge said:
Why is it needed to consider a 4D Euclidean space to introduce the FLRW metric?

We don't. The FLRW metric is locally Lorentzian, not Euclidean. Why do you think a 4D Euclidean space is needed?

(Btw, vanhees71 was asking you the same question. He was not answering your question in the OP; he was telling you the question was based on a false assumption.)

PeterDonis said:
(Btw, vanhees71 was asking you the same question. He was not answering your question in the OP; he was telling you the question was based on a false assumption.)
Ah :biggrin:

PeterDonis said:
Why do you think a 4D Euclidean space is needed?
Because I found two derivations where the author introduces such a space.
One of them is here:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/physics/current/teach/module_home/px436/notes/lecture20.pdf

The another derivation I found in a book I've read.

kent davidge said:
Because I found two derivations where the author introduces such a space.
One of them is here:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/physics/current/teach/module_home/px436/notes/lecture20.pdf

But you need to read it more carefully. The 4D Euclidean space is introduced in order to define a 3D sphere, it is not the space-time in the FRWL model. That 3D sphere is the constant cosmological time surface. Think of the sphere through all time, that forms the space-time manifold, which is not Euclidean.

As usual, Weinberg is much more straight forward. He just derives the maximally symmetric 3D spaces of constant curvature using symmetry. Symmetry is anyway the key to all of physics. So it's well invested time to study it also in the context of GR (keyword: Killing vectors).

In the section "Maximally symmetric spaces. Constructions", Weinberg constructs them the same way, via embedings in a ##n+1## dimensional Euclidean space.

I guess you mean n+1-dimensional affine (flat) space. The negative-curvature case cannot be completely embedded in an Euclidean space. If I remember right, Weinberg discusses this within the mentioned chapter too.

It is the hyperboloid ##-x_0^2+x_1^2+\cdots+x_n^2=0##.

My point was that he also does that. I assumed that when you said that his method was more straight forward you meant that he doesn't construct them the same way i.e. as hypersurfaces in an Euclidean space of one more dimension.

Maybe I'm wrongly attributing the derivation to Weinberg (I've to check as soon as I'm back home), but hasn't he also given the derivation of finding systematically the spaces with maximal symmetry via the Killing equation?

vanhees71 said:
Maybe I'm wrongly attributing the derivation to Weinberg (I've to check as soon as I'm back home), but hasn't he also given the derivation of finding systematically the spaces with maximal symmetry via the Killing equation?

Well, he shows that they have constant curvature and that the curvature and the signature of the metric uniquely determine the space (at least locally and up to an isometry). But to find them he says that since they are unique it suffices to construct them any way we want, and he does the same thing as in the lectures in the link above.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Deriving the FLRW Metric: 4D Euclidean Space Needed?

What is the FLRW metric?

The FLRW metric, also known as the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker metric, is a mathematical representation of the expanding universe in the framework of Einstein's general theory of relativity. It describes the evolution of the universe over time and is based on the assumption that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales.

What does it mean for 4D Euclidean space to be needed in deriving the FLRW metric?

In order to construct the FLRW metric, one must use 4-dimensional Euclidean space as a reference frame. This means that the metric is based on the assumption that the universe is flat and follows the rules of Euclidean geometry. This is a simplifying assumption, as the universe may not necessarily be flat, but it allows for a more manageable mathematical description of the universe.

Why is the FLRW metric important in cosmology?

The FLRW metric is important because it provides a way to describe the expansion and evolution of the universe in a consistent and mathematically sound manner. It allows for predictions to be made about the universe, such as the age and size of the universe, and has been confirmed through various observations and experiments.

How is the FLRW metric derived?

The FLRW metric is derived using Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy. By assuming a homogeneous and isotropic universe, a set of equations can be derived that describe how the universe expands over time. These equations can then be solved to obtain the FLRW metric.

What are the implications of the FLRW metric for our understanding of the universe?

The FLRW metric has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It confirms the idea that the universe is expanding and provides a framework for understanding the origins and evolution of the universe. It also allows for the prediction of future events, such as the eventual fate of the universe. Additionally, the FLRW metric is a crucial component of the Big Bang theory, which is the most widely accepted model for the origin of the universe.

Back