Designing elliptical patch antenna using superstrate in CST

In summary, the individual is seeking help in improving the gain of their antenna using a superstrate. They have consulted multiple journals but are unsure of the necessary thickness of the superstrate. They have specified a frequency of 5.8GHz and a configuration of a coaxial feed, with a ground plane thickness of 0.035mm, substrate thickness of 1.6mm, and patch thickness of 0.035mm. They have also referred to a paper that suggests a superstrate thickness of 2.105mm, with an epsilon of 10.2 for the superstrate and 4.9 for the substrate. They are seeking confirmation on their calculations and assistance in improving their antenna's gain.
Graviton89
Hello,
I'm trying to improve the gain of my antenna using superstrate. I read a few journals regarding this topic but i could not determine the thickness of the superstrate needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Graviton89 said:
Hello,
I'm trying to improve the gain of my antenna using superstrate. I read a few journals regarding this topic but i could not determine the thickness of the superstrate needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Welcome to the PF. I think I'll move your post to the EE forum, where it should get more responses.

What frequency are you working at? What is the current configuration of your antenna? Are you referring to superstrates as in the following paper?

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://etrij.etri.re.kr/Cyber/servlet/GetFile%3Ffileid%3DSPF-1066180646552&sa=U&ei=sFjiTuDFGKmoiALL9KnWCw&ved=0CDEQFjAI&usg=AFQjCNFJ7yEZ5Tm2s0DjVjjBrpLkj_tK_g

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi..
The frequency that i need to obtain is 5.8GHz and I'm using coaxial feed. Yes this is one of the papers i referred. The thickness of my ground plane is 0.035mm, substrate 1.6mm and my patch is 0.035mm. By following the method from the paper, i calculated that the thickness of my superstrate should be about 2.105mm. The superstrate that I'm using has an epsilon of 10.2 and my substrate is 4.9. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks..

Last edited:

FAQ: Designing elliptical patch antenna using superstrate in CST

1. How do I design an elliptical patch antenna using superstrate in CST?

The design process for an elliptical patch antenna using superstrate in CST involves the following steps:

• Create a new project in CST and select the desired frequency range.
  • Draw the elliptical patch antenna and the superstrate layer on the simulation workspace.
  • Define the material properties for the superstrate layer.
  • Adjust the dimensions of the patch antenna to achieve the desired resonant frequency.
  • Run the simulation and analyze the results.

2. What is the purpose of using a superstrate in the design of an elliptical patch antenna?

The superstrate layer is used to enhance the performance of the antenna by providing additional gain and directivity. It also helps in reducing the antenna's profile, making it more compact.

3. How do I choose the appropriate material for the superstrate layer?

The choice of material for the superstrate layer depends on the desired properties of the antenna, such as gain, directivity, and bandwidth. Some commonly used materials include dielectric substrates, metamaterials, and photonic crystals.

4. Can I optimize the design of an elliptical patch antenna using superstrate in CST?

Yes, CST allows for optimization of antenna designs using various algorithms such as genetic algorithm and particle swarm optimization. This can help in achieving the desired performance parameters for the antenna.

5. Are there any limitations to using a superstrate in the design of an elliptical patch antenna?

While using a superstrate can improve the performance of an antenna, it also adds complexity and cost to the design. Additionally, the use of a superstrate may also introduce additional losses and affect the bandwidth of the antenna. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the trade-offs before incorporating a superstrate in the design.