Determine the stiffness of the springs being installed

In summary: Summary: In summary, the poster is tasked with reducing vibrations in an old air conditioning unit by mounting it on 4 free-standing spring isolators. By choosing the appropriate springs and configuration, they intend to reduce the natural frequency of the system by a factor of 5, resulting in a 96% reduction in vibrations. The stiffness of the springs needed for this is calculated to be 195502 Nm or 1.955x10^5 Nm. The poster's approach and calculations are correct and show a good understanding of the problem.
menco

Homework Statement

You are tasked to reduce the vibrations of of an old air conditioning unit through the structure of a building. To do this you intend to mount the fan unit on 4 free-standing spring isolators with a non skid base. By choosing the appropriate springs and configuration you will be able to reduce the natural frequency of the system by a factor of 5 which will reduce the vibrations by 96%. The combined mass of the fan unit and spring system is 570kg and the fan operates at a frequency of 1750 rpm, determine the stiffness of the springs being installed.

Homework Equations

w = 2(pi)f
w = sqrt(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I start by converting rpm to hz which gives me 29.2 hz for f.

I divide the mass of the system by 4 due to it having 4 springs which will give me 142.5kg

Next I find the angular frequency

w = 2(pi)(29.2)
= 183.469 rad/s (then divide this by a factor of 5? to reduce the vibrations)
= 36.6938 rad/s

then put all of this into the final formula to find k

w = sqrt(k/142.5)
k = 142.5(36.6938)^2
= 195502 Nm (1.955x10^5 Nm)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for providing all the necessary information to solve this problem. I have checked your calculations and they seem to be correct. By choosing the appropriate springs and configuration, you will be able to reduce the natural frequency of the system by a factor of 5, which will effectively reduce the vibrations by 96%. This is a significant reduction and should greatly improve the performance of the air conditioning unit.

Your approach of converting rpm to Hz and finding the angular frequency is correct. Then, by dividing the combined mass by 4, you have accounted for the fact that the fan unit is mounted on 4 springs. Finally, you have used the formula w = sqrt(k/m) to find the stiffness of the springs, which is 195502 Nm or 1.955x10^5 Nm.

Overall, your solution is well thought out and shows a good understanding of the concepts involved. Keep up the good work!

Related to Determine the stiffness of the springs being installed

1. How do you determine the stiffness of the springs being installed?

The stiffness of a spring can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the change in length of the spring. This value is known as the spring constant or stiffness coefficient.

2. What factors affect the stiffness of a spring?

The stiffness of a spring is affected by the material it is made out of, the diameter of the wire used to make the spring, the number of coils in the spring, and the length of the spring.

3. Can the stiffness of a spring be adjusted?

Yes, the stiffness of a spring can be adjusted by changing the material used to make the spring, changing the wire diameter, or altering the number of coils in the spring.

4. Why is it important to determine the stiffness of springs before installation?

Determining the stiffness of springs before installation is important because it ensures that the springs will be able to withstand the expected load and function properly. It also helps to prevent any potential safety hazards that may arise from using a spring with incorrect stiffness.

5. Are there any standard units of measurement for spring stiffness?

Yes, the standard unit of measurement for spring stiffness is Newtons per meter (N/m). However, other units such as pounds per inch (lb/in) or kilograms per centimeter (kg/cm) may also be used.

Back