Determining Polynomial Subspaces in P4

In summary, the author is trying to determine whether the following sets are subspaces of P4:a) The set of polynomials in P4 of even degreeb) The set of all polynomials of degree 3c) The set of all polynomials p(x) in P4 such that p(0) = 0d) The set of all polynomials in P4 having at least one real root.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following are subspaces of P4:

a) The set of polynomials in P4 of even degree
b) The set of all polynomials of degree 3
c) The set of all polynomials p(x) in P4 such that p(0) = 0
d) The set of all polynomials in P4 having at least one real root

The Attempt at a Solution

The book defines the vector space Pn as being all polynomials of degree n-1.

So I'm assuming that if R is a polynomial in P4,
then

[itex] R = r_3 x^3 + r_2 x^2 + r_1 x + r_0[/itex]

where [itex] r_n [/itex] is real.

For a set to be a subspace of P4 then, it must consist of polynomials of degree 3 or less, and according to the stipulations given in a), must be even degrees. Now I am not quite sure how to interpret this part. Does that mean the polynomial must contain elements of degree two or less? Or does this mean it must contain elements of only degree 2 and degree 0?

Regardless, when I test scalar multiplication and vector addition it seems to work fine in both cases, but the book says that only part c) is actually a subspace, and the rest are not.

[itex] \alpha R_2 = \alpha (r_2 x^2 + r_1 x + r_0) [/itex]
[itex] \alpha R_2 = \alpha r_2 x^2 + \alpha r_1 x + \alpha r_0 [/itex]

[itex] R_2 + Q_2 = (r_2 x^2 + r_1 x + r_0) + (q_2 x^2 + q_1 x + q_0) [/itex]
[itex] R_2 + Q_2 = ((r_2+q_2)x^2 + (r_1+q_1) x + (r_0+q_0))[/itex]

This resulting polynomial is still even degree, right? And even if I interpret the question the other way, meaning it does not contain r_1*x^1, this would still be true.

Is it because r2 can be anything? I could see that if r2 = 0, then the polynomial would be of odd degree in my initial interpretation (though not in my second interpretation) and would fail, but I'm not sure if that's what they are trying to get at.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:
For a set to be a subspace of P4 then, it must consist of polynomials of degree 3 or less, and according to the stipulations given in a), must be even degrees. Now I am not quite sure how to interpret this part. Does that mean the polynomial must contain elements of degree two or less? Or does this mean it must contain elements of only degree 2 and degree 0?

I think you are misunderstanding what the degree of a polynomial is. The degree is equal to the highest power that appears (with a nonzero coefficient) in the polynomial.

Thus

* the degree of x^3 + x^2 + x + 1 is 3
* the degree of x^2 + x + 1 is 2
* the degree of x + 1 is 1
* the degree of 1 is 0
* the degree of 0 is usually taken to be [itex]-\infty[/itex]

So in general, if

p(x) = r_3 x^3 + r_2 x^2 + r_1 x + r_0

then the degree of p(x) is equal to the largest n such that r_n is nonzero. (Or it's [itex]-\infty[/itex] for the zero polynomial.)

jbunniii said:
I think you are misunderstanding what the degree of a polynomial is. The degree is equal to the highest power that appears (with a nonzero coefficient) in the polynomial.

Ok, so that was my first interpretation of the question. So a polynomial in P4 (according to my text) could have up to degree 3, as I thought.

The set of even degree polynomials in P4 then, would be what I had. A polynomial either with degree 2 as it's highest degree, or degree 0 with it's highest degree (I'm not sure that's considered even, but that's kind of trivial anyway). Correct?

ElijahRockers said:
The set of even degree polynomials in P4 then, would be what I had. A polynomial either with degree 2 as it's highest degree, or degree 0 with it's highest degree. Correct?
Yes, that's correct. So suppose you have two such polynomials, and add them together. Is the result guaranteed to have even degree?

Well it all depends on the coefficients. If r2 = -q2 then adding the polynomials together would annihilate the degree 2 term resulting in a degree 1 polynomial. Is that what the question is getting at?

So I can find which values of coefficients that will prove that those three sets are not subspaces of P4 and just say "well if this coefficient equals such-and-such, then this set will not be a subspace"? That's really what I was asking, I guess I just wanted to provide as much info as possible just incase.

ElijahRockers said:
Well it all depends on the coefficients. If r2 = -q2 then adding the polynomials together would annihilate the degree 2 term resulting in a degree 1 polynomial. Is that what the question is getting at?
Yes, exactly.

So I can find which values of coefficients that will prove that those three sets are not subspaces of P4 and just say "well if this coefficient equals such-and-such, then this set will not be a subspace"? That's really what I was asking, I guess I just wanted to provide as much info as possible just incase.
To be more precise, "if I choose these coefficients, then I have found a counterexample showing that the set is not closed under addition, so it is not a subspace."

Couldn't I have proven the same thing using scalar multiplication if α≠0? For any polynomial with r2 = 0, r1 ≠ 0, that would have made the same point, right?

I bet you can find a counterexample for (b) pretty easily now.

ElijahRockers said:
Couldn't I have proven the same thing using scalar multiplication if α≠0? For any polynomial with r2 = 0, r1 ≠ 0, that would have made the same point, right?
No, because that polynomial would have degree 1, not 2, so it doesn't have even degree.

jbunniii said:
No, because that polynomial would have degree 1, not 2, so it doesn't have even degree.

That's what I was trying to do. Come up with a counter example. :P

And yes, now I can see b) pretty easily, and d) is obviously disproved by finding some combination of the coefficients that results in no real roots.

But what about c)? The book says that it's a subspace of P4, but if I chose r0 ≠ 0, then R(0) ≠ 0, thus is wouldn't be a subspace, right? Or am I thinking about that wrong?

ElijahRockers said:
That's what I was trying to do. Come up with a counter example. :P
Right, but in order to find a counterexample violating the scalar multiplication property, you would need a polynomial [itex]p(x)[/itex] that has even degree, but such that [itex]ap(x)[/itex] does not have even degree, for some nonzero scalar [itex]a[/itex].

By the way, I'm not sure how the degree of the zero polynomial is defined in your book/course, but if it's defined to have degree [itex]-\infty[/itex], then the zero polynomial doesn't have even degree, so that's another reason why the set of polynomials with even degree does not form a subspace. Any subspace must contain zero!

ElijahRockers said:
And yes, now I can see b) pretty easily, and d) is obviously disproved by finding some combination of the coefficients that results in no real roots.

But what about c)? The book says that it's a subspace of P4, but if I chose r0 ≠ 0, then R(0) ≠ 0, thus is wouldn't be a subspace, right? Or am I thinking about that wrong?
It's true that if [itex]r_0 \neq 0[/itex], then [itex]R(0) \neq 0[/itex]. But all that shows is that this polynomial isn't contained in the set. The set is defined to be only those polynomials that DO satisfy R(0) = 0. The task is to check whether that set is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

I am not very satisfied with my book. The only thing it says about the zero polynomial is a sort of 'by the way' while describing the Pn vector space.

"In this case, the zero vector is the zero polynomial,

[itex]z(x) = 0x^{n-1} + 0x^{n-2} + ... + 0x + 0 [/itex].

And that is the only mention of the zero polynomial I can find in the entire book, even after looking through the index. Needless to say I'm glad I'm borrowing the book from a classmate and didn't have to buy it.

jbunniii said:
It's true that if [itex]r_0 \neq 0[/itex], then [itex]R(0) \neq 0[/itex]. But all that shows is that this polynomial isn't contained in the set. The set is defined to be only those polynomials that DO satisfy R(0) = 0. The task is to check whether that set is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

Ok that clears things up a bit! Thank you so much!

ElijahRockers said:
I am not very satisfied with my book. The only thing it says about the zero polynomial is a sort of 'by the way' while describing the Pn vector space.

"In this case, the zero vector is the zero polynomial,

[itex]z(x) = 0x^{n-1} + 0x^{n-2} + ... + 0x + 0 [/itex].

And that is the only mention of the zero polynomial I can find in the entire book, even after looking through the index. Needless to say I'm glad I'm borrowing the book from a classmate and didn't have to buy it.
OK, in that case I wouldn't make any assumptions about the degree of the zero polynomial. Perhaps the author has implicitly decided to assign it degree zero. I don't think there's universal agreement among authors regarding this. You may want to check with your instructor (if you have one) to find out what definition you should use.

jbunniii said:
OK, in that case I wouldn't make any assumptions about the degree of the zero polynomial. Perhaps the author has implicitly decided to assign it degree zero. I don't think there's universal agreement among authors regarding this. You may want to check with your instructor (if you have one) to find out what definition you should use.

I haven't read the rest of this thread but if the question is what is the degree of the zero polynomial, I've seen it defined formally as -∞. The degree of any other constant polynomial is 0. So the degree of P(x) = 47 is zero; but the degree of P(x) = 0 is -∞.

SteveL27 said:
I haven't read the rest of this thread but if the question is what is the degree of the zero polynomial, I've seen it defined formally as -∞. The degree of any other constant polynomial is 0. So the degree of P(x) = 47 is zero; but the degree of P(x) = 0 is -∞.
Yes, I've seen the same.

The reason the question came up is because Elijah's book doesn't define it explicitly, and at least one of his candidate subspaces (the set of all polynomials of even degree) wouldn't contain the zero polynomial if its degree is defined to be [itex]-\infty[/itex], but it would if its degree is defined to be 0. Fortunately that set can be disqualified as a subspace on other grounds, because it's not closed under addition.

I've been doing some thinking on the degree of the zero polynomial and it makes the most sense to have it defined as degree -∞, like you were saying.

I wish the teacher didn't pull the homework questions directly from the book. They are not bad questions, but the book doesn't clearly explain a lot of the concepts we're working with. (Unless it does, and I just missed it)

But the homework is all done in time for class this morning, so thank you for your help!

Related to Determining Polynomial Subspaces in P4

1. What is a polynomial subspace in P4?

A polynomial subspace in P4 refers to the set of all polynomials of degree 4 or less that satisfy certain mathematical conditions. These conditions are typically related to the operations of addition and scalar multiplication, and the resulting subspace can be represented geometrically as a plane or higher-dimensional space.

2. How do you determine if a set of polynomials form a subspace in P4?

To determine if a set of polynomials form a subspace in P4, you must check if they satisfy the three conditions of a subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector (or the zero polynomial in this case). This can be done by performing basic operations on the polynomials and checking if the resulting polynomial still belongs to the set.

3. Can a polynomial subspace in P4 contain an infinite number of polynomials?

Yes, a polynomial subspace in P4 can contain an infinite number of polynomials. This is because the set of all polynomials of degree 4 or less is infinite, and the conditions for a subspace allow for the addition and multiplication of these polynomials to create even more polynomials.

4. What is the basis of a polynomial subspace in P4?

The basis of a polynomial subspace in P4 is a set of linearly independent polynomials that can be used to span the entire subspace. This means that any polynomial in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis polynomials. In other words, the basis is a minimal set of polynomials that can represent the subspace.

5. How can I determine the dimension of a polynomial subspace in P4?

The dimension of a polynomial subspace in P4 is equal to the number of basis polynomials in the subspace. To determine the dimension, you can find a basis for the subspace and count the number of polynomials in the basis. Alternatively, you can use the concept of rank to find the dimension, which is equal to the number of linearly independent polynomials in the subspace.