Difference between corelation function and corelation lenght

In summary, the correlation length only occurs at the critical point, and as the critical point is approached, the correlation length diverges.
LagrangeEuler
For example if we look Ising model correlation function is
[tex]\langle S_iS_{i+j}\rangle[/tex]
So we can see that if we took into acount just nearest neighbours interraction we also will see that some [tex]i+j[/tex]-th spin feels i-th spin. So there is some correlation between them.
Am I right? This is correlation function. And what is correlation lenght?

Is it length between
[itex]\uparrow\uparrow\uparrow\uparrow\downarrow\downarrow[/itex]
the biggest number of align spins?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I watch some spin system, for example Ising model or something, what is for me there correlation lenght? Can you explain this to me?

I'm not sure if the usage in condensed matter is the same, but usually the correlation function is more general. When the correlation function is exponential, exp(-x/L), then L is the correlation length. If the correlation function is a power law, x^n, then the correlation length is not defined (or "infinite", eg. http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/ClaudioCastelnovo/Talks/060418_Harvard.pdf says "power-law phase with infinite correlation length").

Yes, I think it's the same. Just in condensed matter I have maybe

[tex]\Gamma=exp(-\frac{an}{L})[/tex]

where [tex]a[/tex] is distance between nearest neighbours. I don't understand very well that if I see phase transition in some point then correlation length there is pretty large. So [tex]\Gamma[/tex] goes to zero. Right?

And where I can have polynomial dependence? In ordered phase. Can someone explain me that?

LagrangeEuler said:
Yes, I think it's the same. Just in condensed matter I have maybe

[tex]\Gamma=exp(-\frac{an}{L})[/tex]

where [tex]a[/tex] is distance between nearest neighbours. I don't understand very well that if I see phase transition in some point then correlation length there is pretty large. So [tex]\Gamma[/tex] goes to zero. Right?

And where I can have polynomial dependence? In ordered phase. Can someone explain me that?

The divergence of the correlation length only occurs at some phase transitions, eg. at the critical point , which is where the boundary between liquid and gas disappears. Kardar has some notes on this. He writes the correlation function as a power law multiplying an exponential (Eq II.46). The correlation function is approximately a power law only for distances less than the correlation length (Eq II.49). As the critical point is approached, the correlation length diverges, and so the correlation function is close to a power law over very large distances (see his comments before Eq II.52).
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-334-statistical-mechanics-ii-statistical-physics-of-fields-spring-2008/lecture-notes/lec2.pdf
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-334-statistical-mechanics-ii-statistical-physics-of-fields-spring-2008/lecture-notes/lec3.pdf
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-334-statistical-mechanics-ii-statistical-physics-of-fields-spring-2008/lecture-notes/lec4.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Difference between corelation function and corelation lenght

What is the correlation function?

The correlation function is a statistical measure that quantifies the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables. It is used to determine how closely related two variables are, and whether they tend to increase or decrease together.

What is the correlation length?

The correlation length refers to the distance over which two variables remain correlated. It is a measure of the spatial extent of the relationship between two variables, and is often used in the study of physical systems and spatial data.

How are correlation function and correlation length related?

The correlation function and correlation length are closely related measures. The correlation length can be calculated from the correlation function, as it represents the distance at which the correlation function drops to zero. In other words, the correlation function provides information about the strength and direction of the relationship, while the correlation length provides information about the spatial extent of the relationship.

What is the difference between positive and negative correlation?

Positive correlation refers to a relationship where two variables tend to increase or decrease together. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase. Negative correlation, on the other hand, refers to a relationship where two variables tend to move in opposite directions. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable tends to decrease.

How is the correlation function used in data analysis?

The correlation function is a useful tool in data analysis as it allows us to understand the relationship between two variables. It is often used to identify patterns and trends, and can help us make predictions about future behavior. It is also used to determine the strength of the relationship between variables and assess the significance of this relationship.