Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods ?

In summary, the differences between Newton Raphson and Gauss Seidel methods lie in their applications and objectives. While Gauss Seidel is used to solve linear equations, Newton Raphson is used for non-linear equations. Additionally, Gauss Seidel works for a system of equations while Newton Raphson is for a single equation or a system of non-linear equations.
Serena_hm
Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods !?

hello everyone ...

can anyone please summarize me the differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods in load flow study !?

I'll be really thankful

Likes Hazoor
Engineering news on Phys.org

i'm an EE and i have no idea what a "load flow study" is.

the Newton-Raphson and Gauss-Seidel are two different things.

as best as i can tell Gauss-Seidel is sort of equivalent to what we usually call Gaussian elimination, but i may be wrong. both are for solving a set of N linear equations with N unknowns. i don't imagine there are too many problems (like multiple, equally-valid solutions) if the N equations are all linearly independent.

Newton-Raphson is for solving for the roots of N non-linear equations. it's an iterative method that converges on a result. there are possibilities of the thing not converging on a solution, or sometimes converging on a valid solution, but it isn't the set of roots that you want. a set of N non-linear equations might have more than one result set of the N unknowns.

Likes Hazoor

thanks for your explanation , I meant with load flow study , power flow study in power system

Likes Hazoor

okay, whatever the application is, the Gauss Seidel is for a system of linear equations and Newton-Raphson is for a single non-linear equation or a system of non-linear equations.

Likes Hazoor
!

The Newton Raphson method and the Gauss Seidel method are both numerical methods used in load flow studies to solve power system equations. However, there are some key differences between the two methods.

1. Algorithm: The Newton Raphson method uses an iterative approach that involves solving a linearized version of the power system equations, while the Gauss Seidel method uses a sequential approach where the equations are solved one at a time.

2. Convergence: The Newton Raphson method is guaranteed to converge to the correct solution as long as the initial guess is close enough, while the Gauss Seidel method may not always converge or may converge to a wrong solution.

3. Speed: The Newton Raphson method typically converges faster than the Gauss Seidel method, especially for larger and more complex systems.

4. Memory requirements: The Newton Raphson method requires more memory as it needs to store the Jacobian matrix, while the Gauss Seidel method only needs to store the system variables.

5. Accuracy: The Newton Raphson method is more accurate as it uses second-order derivatives in its calculations, while the Gauss Seidel method only uses first-order derivatives.

6. Parallelization: The Gauss Seidel method can easily be parallelized, meaning it can be divided into smaller tasks and solved simultaneously on multiple processors, while the Newton Raphson method is more difficult to parallelize.

In summary, the Newton Raphson method is faster and more accurate, but may require more memory and can be harder to parallelize. The Gauss Seidel method, on the other hand, is simpler and can be easily parallelized, but may not always converge and may be slower for larger systems. Ultimately, the choice between the two methods depends on the specific needs and constraints of the load flow study being performed.

Related to Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods ?

1. What is the main difference between Newton Raphson and Gauss Seidel methods?

The main difference between Newton Raphson and Gauss Seidel methods is that Newton Raphson is a direct method while Gauss Seidel is an iterative method. This means that Newton Raphson directly calculates the root of an equation while Gauss Seidel approaches the root through repeated iterations.

2. Which method is more accurate, Newton Raphson or Gauss Seidel?

In general, Newton Raphson is considered to be more accurate than Gauss Seidel. This is because Newton Raphson uses higher order derivatives and has a faster convergence rate compared to Gauss Seidel. However, the accuracy of both methods can be affected by the initial guess and the type of equation being solved.

3. Can both Newton Raphson and Gauss Seidel methods be used for solving any type of equation?

No, both methods have their own limitations and are suitable for different types of equations. Newton Raphson is more suitable for single variable equations, while Gauss Seidel is better for systems of simultaneous equations.

4. Which method is faster, Newton Raphson or Gauss Seidel?

In general, Gauss Seidel is faster than Newton Raphson. This is because Gauss Seidel updates the values of the variables after each iteration, while Newton Raphson calculates the derivative at every iteration. However, the speed of both methods can vary depending on the equation being solved and the initial guess.

5. How do Newton Raphson and Gauss Seidel methods handle complex or imaginary roots?

Both methods can handle complex or imaginary roots, but the approach is different. Newton Raphson can handle complex roots by using complex arithmetic and finding the complex derivatives. On the other hand, Gauss Seidel can handle complex roots by solving the real and imaginary parts separately in the system of equations.