Differential equation---a conceptual problem

In summary, the conversation was about understanding a point in a note on differential equations. The note presented two equations and a sentence involving differentials, and the question was about the meaning of "dX = dx + 0". The expert summarizer clarified that this is a shorthand called implicit differentiation, and showed how the notation is used.
davon806

Homework Statement

I am reading a note on differential equation.There is a point that I don't understand,hopefully someone can explain
(Please see the attched)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The notes wrote " a1t + b1 x + c1 = a1T + b1X
a2t + b2t + c2 = a2T + b2X

the following sentence dX =dx + 0 and dT = dt+0
What does it mean?
I guess it was something like dX/dT = d(x+ħ)/d(t+τ)?But then I have no idea.This is the first time I have met this kind of case...
Can someone explain,thx so much
10848927_1222013937814418_6698737448882156997_o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
davon806 said:

Homework Statement

I am reading a note on differential equation.There is a point that I don't understand,hopefully someone can explain
(Please see the attched)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The notes wrote " a1t + b1 x + c1 = a1T + b1X
a2t + b2t + c2 = a2T + b2X

the following sentence dX =dx + 0 and dT = dt+0
What does it mean?
I guess it was something like dX/dT = d(x+ħ)/d(t+τ)?But then I have no idea.This is the first time I have met this kind of case...
Can someone explain,thx so muchView attachment 90144

It says to choose ##\tau## and ##\eta## such that ##\bar{x} = x + \eta## and ##\bar{t} = t + \tau## obey the two equations you wrote above. That tells you how to find ##\tau## and ##\eta##, and since the ##a_i## and ##b_i## are constants, so are ##\tau## and ##\eta##. Thus, ##d \bar{x} = dx + d \eta = dx##, because ##d \eta = 0## (##\eta## is a constant).

But why does dn = 0? I have only learned dy/dx,I don't know what does it mean when they are separated(and so I post this thread :/)...

davon806 said:
But why does dn = 0? I have only learned dy/dx,I don't know what does it mean when they are separated(and so I post this thread :/)...

You don't know why the derivative of a constant is zero? Go back to your elementary calculus notes!

Yes,I understand dy/dx = 0 if y is a constant.But the note said dy = 0,so the bottom dx is vanished,and that's make me confused

davon806 said:
Yes,I understand dy/dx = 0 if y is a constant.But the note said dy = 0,so the bottom dx is vanished,and that's make me confused

I don't see any ##y## or ##dy## anywhere in the note.

Sorry,I mean d(something)
From the notes:
dX = dx + 0,dT = dt + 0

The problem is that I don't know what's going on because usually when you differentiate a function,say y = x^2,you write:
dy/dx = d(x^2)/dx = 2x ,the Leibniz's notation is written as dy/dx.In my notes,just like dX = dx + 0,and the "denominator" in the standard dy/dx notation vanishes,so that's why I don't understand the statement above.

davon806 said:

Writing it this way is a shorthand called implicit differentiation. You have:
[tex] \bar x = x + \eta; \frac{d \bar x}{d x} = 1 + 0[/tex]
Now multiply through by dx and write:
[tex] d \bar x = dx + 0 [/tex]

After a bit of practice, you just skip the intermediate step and write immediately:
[tex] d \bar x = dx + 0 [/tex]

Thx

FAQ: Differential equation---a conceptual problem

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves variables and their rates of change, and is often used to model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. ODEs are used to model one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used to model multi-dimensional systems.

3. What is the concept of a "solution" to a differential equation?

A solution to a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation and its initial or boundary conditions. It represents the behavior of the system being modeled and can be used to make predictions or solve problems related to the system.

4. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an explicit formula for the solution, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms and computer simulations to approximate the solution.

5. What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena, including population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and motion of objects. They are also used in various fields such as engineering, economics, biology, and physics to solve problems and make predictions about real-world systems.