Difficulty in learning physics

In summary: Another thing to remember is that physics is not always opposite to human intuition. For example, when we push something, we expect it to move. However, in physics, sometimes opposite happens and something can actually stop from pushing.
thushanthan

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

I am taking 'Mechanics' ( Introductory level - Calculus based ) this summer. I already passed my Calculus I ( Differentiation ). The textbook we are using is " Physics for scientists and engineers" by Serway. I am facing some difficulties with learning. I found that it is not like math. What is best way to learn physics. Text book is too confusing for me. Is there are any good calculus based physics books other than Serway?? Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Serway is pretty good, that's what I used as a freshman. Another popular text is by Halliday and Resnick, you could try that out.

Once you build your physics intuition you'll find physics to be quite easy. It's pretty easy to build an answer when you already have an idea of how the answer will look like. Maybe we could help you out more if you say what you are specifically struggling with.

I have trouble with interpreting the word problems to the equivalent mathematical statements.:confused:

I am currently using the Serway book for my intro mechanics class, and I will agree that it is a somewhat dense book, the reading is a bit rough. What are your note taking habbits both in and out of the classroom? I find that students, including myself, who scribble down copius amounts of notes often get left behind because it is very very difficult to follow along with the next concept while writing down the last concept. I now only write down examples, no notes what so ever from the lecture, but I am very invovled in the lecture basically repeating everything my proffesor is saying and if it clicks I move on, if not I question it. When I approach these problems, I attempt to visualize what is happening ( I am a visual learner) and what ought to happen, I set up a range of acceptable answers basically. There is one caveat to this approach and that is that physics is sometimes opposite to human intuition my high school physics teacher once told me "Physics is the most illogical, logical science". Also you may already know this about physics as well with calc, and that is physics is a practice sport, it cannot just be read and via diffusion you are Richard Feynman. Being profficient in physics does not just come from a great memory or good comprehension, it comes from the confidence of being familliar with all problems your proffesor may deliver to you. The long short of it is practice, practice, practice as well as a different mind set. Trying to relate physics concepts to math concepts is difficult and so far in my studies the only simillarities I have found were with related rates from calc, other than that math is just understanding differentiation/integration rules and some abstract thought (at the calc I level anyway). Physics on the other hand is all abstract thought and remembering a few of the general rules such as conservation and so on. Hope this helps, and if what I have said you are already doing, then take it as positive reinforcement of your method.

Joe

thushanthan said:
I have trouble with interpreting the word problems to the equivalent mathematical statements.:confused:

All my profs have said, the difficulties in physics may not always be the math, but interpreting exactly what the question is asking.

I always find drawing a picture writing your known values and physical principles involved helps. It is important to also do all the examples in the textbook, and figuring out exactly why each thing is the way it is.

FAQ: Difficulty in learning physics

1. Why is physics considered a difficult subject to learn?

Physics is often considered a difficult subject because it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories that may be difficult to visualize. It also requires a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking skills, and the ability to apply concepts to real-world situations.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

One way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice solving problems and applying concepts to different scenarios. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to discuss difficult concepts and gain a deeper understanding.

3. What are some common misconceptions about learning physics?

One common misconception is that you have to be a genius to understand physics. In reality, anyone can learn physics with dedication and effort. Another misconception is that physics is only for those pursuing a career in science, when in fact, it has many practical applications in everyday life.

4. How can I overcome my fear of physics?

One way to overcome your fear of physics is to break down the subject into smaller, manageable chunks and focus on one concept at a time. You can also try to find real-world examples and applications of the concepts you are learning to make them more relatable and less intimidating.

5. What study strategies can I use to succeed in physics?

Some effective study strategies for learning physics include creating study guides, teaching the material to someone else, and using flashcards to practice equations and concepts. It is also important to attend lectures, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions and activities.