Dirac-delta term in a non-relativistic interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of electron-electron scattering and the calculation of the invariant transition amplitude using the Dirac equation. It is mentioned that in the nonrelativistic limit, a Dirac-delta spin-spin term arises in the potential. This is due to taking the limit in expanding q^2 and in the spinors, as explained in the book "Peskin-Schroder". The constant term in the end corresponds to a delta-function potential. However, in the further question, it is mentioned that there is no spin-spin dependence in the constant term, which may require further investigation.
Montejo
Hi everyone,
I'm studying electron-electron scattering, starting with the Dirac equation it ends up calculating the invariant transition amplitude, defined as:
[tex]-iM=(ie{\overline{u}^f}_A}\gamma^\mu u^i}_A) \frac{-ig_{\mu\nu}}{q^2}(ie{\overline{u}^f}_B}\gamma^\nu u^i}_B)[/tex]

With [tex]u_A[/tex] and [tex]u_B[/tex] the electron spinors (initial and final)

After this it says that in the nonrelativistic limit a Dirac-delta spin-spin term arises in the corresponding potential. How is that?

Could anyone explain where does this dirac-delta come from? (And btw a better book to study QED)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
this tree-level M corresponds to the Fourier-transform of the potential in the nonrelativistic limit (aka "Born Approximation"). So you have to take this limit, both in expanding q^2 and in the spinors. See Peskin-Schroder to see how these limits are taken, for example.

In the end, you will get (among other things) a constant term, and that corresponds to a delta-function potential (the Fourier transform of a delta function is a constant).

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much, I think I got the point. However, I still have a further question. Here's what I've done:

[tex]
-iM=(ie{\overline{u}^f}_A}\gamma^\mu u^i}_A) \frac{-ig_{\mu\nu}}{q^2}(ie{\overline{u}^f}_B}\gamma^\nu u^i}_B)=[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{1}{q^2} \left( 1 + \frac{{p^f}_A {p^i}_A + i \sigma ({p^f}_A \times {p^i}_A) }{4m^2} + \frac{{p^f}_B {p^i}_B + i \sigma ({p^f}_B \times {p^i}_B) }{4m^2} + \O (\frac{p}{m})^4 \right)
[/tex]

Now, working in CM [tex]{p^i}_A= p, {p^i}_B= -p, {p^f}_A= p', {p^f}_B=-p', q=p'-p[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{q^2} \left( 1 - q^2 + {p'}^2+{p}^2+ \frac{ i ({\sigma}_A+{\sigma}_B) (p' \times p) }{4m^2} + \O (\frac{p}{m})^4 \right) =
[/tex]
[tex]
= -1 +\frac{1}{q^2} \left( 1 + {p'}^2+{p}^2+ \frac{ i ({\sigma}_A+{\sigma}_B) (p' \times p) }{4m^2} + \O (\frac{p}{m})^4 \right) =
[/tex]

Ok, I've got a constant term which will yield a delta-function, but it has no spin-spin dependence, have I done something wrong?

Thanks

FAQ: Dirac-delta term in a non-relativistic interaction

1. What is the Dirac-delta term in a non-relativistic interaction?

The Dirac-delta term in a non-relativistic interaction is a mathematical representation of a point particle's position in space. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability of finding a particle at a specific point in space.

2. Why is the Dirac-delta term important in non-relativistic interactions?

The Dirac-delta term is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle's position in space in a non-relativistic system. Without it, we would not be able to accurately describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How is the Dirac-delta term related to the wave function?

The Dirac-delta term is related to the wave function through the position operator. The position operator acts on the wave function and provides the probability of finding a particle at a specific position in space, which is represented by the Dirac-delta term.

4. Can the Dirac-delta term be used in relativistic systems?

No, the Dirac-delta term is only applicable in non-relativistic systems. In relativistic systems, the position of a particle is described by the position four-vector, which is not represented by a Dirac-delta term.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Dirac-delta term in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Dirac-delta term is limited to describing particles in non-relativistic systems. It also assumes that particles are point-like and have definite positions, which may not always be the case at the quantum level. Additionally, the Dirac-delta term cannot be used to describe the position of a particle in multiple dimensions simultaneously.