Discriminant of quadratic equations

In summary, the conversation discussed finding values of k for which the equation (5 + 4x - x^2 = k) has equal roots. The homework equations and attempt at a solution were also mentioned. The solution was found to be k = 9.
Porty
I know this is probably really easy, but i just can't figure it out..

Homework Statement

Find values of k for which (5 + 4x - x^2 = k) has equal roots.

I know the answer is k = 9 but i don't know how to get there..

Homework Equations

ax^2 + bx + c = 0
Discriminant = b^2 - 4ac

I know the discriminant has to equal 0 for the equation to have equal roots..

The Attempt at a Solution

But i get Discriminent = 36..?

and the roots equaling -1 or 5..?

Im lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got k = 9, please show me your work so i can check it out

Porty said:
I know this is probably really easy, but i just can't figure it out..

Homework Statement

Find values of k for which (5 + 4x - x^2 = k) has equal roots.

I know the answer is k = 9 but i don't know how to get there..

Homework Equations

ax^2 + bx + c = 0
Discriminant = b^2 - 4ac

I know the discriminant has to equal 0 for the equation to have equal roots..

The Attempt at a Solution

But i get Discriminent = 36..?

and the roots equaling -1 or 5..?

Im lost.
Yes, x^2- 4x- 5= 0 has discrimant 36 and roots -1 and 5 but that is NOT the equation you want- you've dropped the "k" which is the whole point of this problem! In order to write 5 + 4x - x^2 = k as "ax^2+ bx+ c= 0", subtract k from both sides and write it as -x^2+ 4x+ 5-k= 0. Now a= -1, b= 4, and c= 5-k. The discriminant is b^2- 4ac= (4)^2- 4(-1)(5-k). Set that equal to 0 and solve for k.

HallsofIvy...

Yep yep that's it...

-x^2 + 4x + 5 - k = 0
= 4^2 - 4(-1)(5-k)
= 36 - 4k
4k = 36
k = 9

Now i can sleep... Thank you

FAQ: Discriminant of quadratic equations

What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is a mathematical term that is used to determine the nature of the roots or solutions of a quadratic equation. It is represented by the symbol "b²-4ac" in the quadratic formula.

How is the discriminant used to find the nature of the roots?

If the discriminant is greater than 0, then the quadratic equation will have two distinct real roots. If it is equal to 0, then the equation will have one real root. And if the discriminant is less than 0, then the equation will have two complex roots.

What does the value of the discriminant tell us about the graph of a quadratic equation?

The value of the discriminant can tell us about the number of x-intercepts the graph of the quadratic equation will have. If the discriminant is positive, the graph will intersect the x-axis at two points. If it is zero, the graph will touch the x-axis at one point. And if it is negative, the graph will not intersect the x-axis at all.

Can the discriminant be negative?

Yes, the discriminant can be negative. This means that the quadratic equation will have two complex roots, which cannot be graphed on a traditional coordinate plane.

How is the discriminant related to the solutions of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant is used to determine the number and nature of the solutions of a quadratic equation. It helps us to understand whether the solutions will be real or complex, and how many solutions there will be. It is an important tool in solving and graphing quadratic equations.

Back