Do Cars Falling Off a Cliff Land Simultaneously Regardless of Speed?

• Thread starter SoulInNeed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers a scenario where two cars drive off a cliff with different initial velocities and a cliff height of 17 m. The summary provides solutions to determine which car reaches the water first and travels further in the air. It also includes the calculation of the time each car spends in the air. The conversation also discusses the trajectory of a bullet shot at a 45-degree angle above horizontal and asks a multiple choice question about its properties at its highest point. The correct answer is "None of the Above" and the explanation provides a breakdown of the bullet's acceleration, velocity, and height at that point.
SoulInNeed
Help with simple HW problems please!

1. Two cars drive off a cliff. The road was completely horizontal until it ended (launching the cars off the cliff with an initail velocity in the horizontal direction). Car A was driving at 80 m/s, and Car B was driving at 20 m/s when they left the cliff. Assume you can ignore wind resistance and friction in this problem.

a) Which car (if any) hits the water at the bottom of the cliff first? Why?

b) Which car (if any) travels further in the air before it hits the water? Why?

2. If the cliff is 17 m high, calculate how long each car is in the air.

3. A bullet is shot out of a gun at a 45 degree angle above horizontal. We will call the height of the gun zero height. When the bullet reaches its highest point in its trajectory, which of the following must be true?

The acceleration of the bullet is zero.
The velocity of the bullet is zero.
The height of the bullet is zero
All of the above
None of the above

4. Explain your answer to the multiple choice question above.
Relevant Equations x=x(0) + v(0x)t
y=y(0) + v(0y)t - (.5)g(t^2)
The attempt at a solution

1. a) They will both hit the water at the same time, because they both fall at the same rate of acceleration (ay=-9.8 m/s^2).

b) Car A will have a higher range of travel, because it starts with a higher horizontal velocity.

2. 0=17-(.50)(9.80)t^2
-17=(-4.9)t^2
3.5=t^2
t=1.9 seconds

This applies to both cars, because both leave the cliff with the same rate of acceleration in the y-axis (ay=-9.80), and the same starting velocity in the y-axis (ay=0).

3. None of the Above

4. The acceleration of the bullet is 0 in the x-axis, but it remains -9.80 in the y axis.

The velocity of the bullet is zero in the y-axis when it is at its highest point, but its velocity in the x-axis is constant.

The height of the bullet is not zero if the height of the gun is considered zero height.

Physics news on Phys.org

Correct

All answers look good to me.

Thanks!

FAQ: Do Cars Falling Off a Cliff Land Simultaneously Regardless of Speed?

1. What is the best way to approach a simple homework problem?

The best way to approach a simple homework problem is to start by understanding the problem and what is being asked. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Finally, use any relevant formulas or equations to solve the problem step by step.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use a calculator or double-check your calculations by working backwards or plugging your answer back into the original problem. You can also ask a classmate, teacher, or tutor for help in verifying your answer.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a homework problem?

If you get stuck on a homework problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try looking for similar examples or practice problems to get a better understanding of the concept. If you still need help, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or classmates for assistance.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for homework?

To improve your problem-solving skills for homework, practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try breaking down problems into smaller steps, working with a study group, or using online resources and practice problems to strengthen your understanding of the subject.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with simple homework problems?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with simple homework problems! Asking for help shows that you are actively trying to learn and understand the material. It is important to seek help when needed to ensure that you fully grasp the concepts and are able to successfully complete the homework assignment.

Back