Don't like my job even though it could aid me later Help

• Thread starter Alex_117
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Job
In summary, the person in the conversation is considering becoming an engineer, specifically in the mechanical or biomedical field. They are currently working as an electrician apprentice but are not passionate about the work and are considering getting a degree in engineering or computer science. They are also debating whether their experience as an electrician will help them in their future engineering career. The speaker suggests that the person should consider working for an HVAC company or machine shop and taking drafting courses to gain experience in mechanical engineering. They also mention the potential for a subfield called electromechanical engineering. Overall, the person is seeking advice on how to transition into a career in engineering.
Alex_117
Hi my name is Alex and I have the goal of becoming an engineer. Either mechanical or biomedical. I like medical and technical things so I feel biomedical would be awesome. Get to help people but use my brain to solve complex problems and be creative.
Anyways, my problem is that I am an electrician apprentice and I don't love it. I don't feel excited to get up for work or sometimes feel anxiety from it. But the thing is I've heard a lot that this trade can help me become a better engineer or at least gain practical experience that will hopefully give me a leg up. I also make more money that I would anywhere else and it will only go up from here. Also I can go to school while I'm in the apprenticeship. I've been debating on getting a degree in engineering or CS but have been leaning towards engineering because of the leg up I'll have from my job.

Will this trade really help me in the mechanical or biomedical engineering field? I honestly like the electrical stuff I'm learning but I can't stand the work environments or various other things. It affects my asthma with all the dust and what not. It's physically demanding and my apprenticeship will still last 4.5 more years. I also aim to make 6 figures one day but I'm not thinking too much about that right now. Just a goal for later. Any advice would help. Sorry if info seems to be missing I'm typing this on my break at work on my phone ha. Just ask any questions and I'll reply. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a similar work background myself. However, being an electrician won't directly apply to becoming a Mechanical engineer. Your background would lead you to electrical engineering in the building design and construction field.

You might be able to specialize in medical buildings, but if you want to really get into mechanical (but still need to have a full time job to make a living), you should consider looking for a job with an HVAC company or machine shop, and then take a couple of Drafting courses which would put you into their design groups. From there, you could try to work up to designer and engineer (especially if you can attend school, either after hours, online or remotely).

Biomed will require you to look into lab work and may even require you to attend school full time for a year or so, to break away from your current career path. You will probably need to do something drastic to get your career path pointed in the direction of Biomed.

It might really help if you want to go into a subfield of mechanical engineering, called...electromechanical engineering. electromechanics deal with things such as designing motors, servos, etc, and will probably be a big field with lots of opportunities as we move toward green energy.

FAQ: Don't like my job even though it could aid me later Help

What are some reasons why I may not like my job even though it could help me later?

Some possible reasons could include not feeling fulfilled or challenged in your current role, having a negative work environment or toxic coworkers, feeling undervalued or underpaid, or not seeing a clear path for advancement and growth.

How can I balance the potential benefits of my job with my current dissatisfaction?

It can be helpful to weigh the long-term benefits and potential career advancement opportunities against your current dissatisfaction. You may also want to consider finding ways to make your current job more enjoyable or seeking out new opportunities that align more closely with your interests and goals.

What steps can I take to make my current job more bearable?

Some possible steps could include talking to your manager about your concerns, seeking out new projects or responsibilities that align with your interests, finding ways to connect with coworkers, or seeking out professional development opportunities.

How can I stay motivated and focused on the potential long-term benefits of my job?

It can be helpful to set specific goals and milestones for yourself, create a plan for how your current job can help you achieve those goals, and regularly remind yourself of the potential benefits and opportunities that your job offers.

Should I stay in a job that I don't like just because it could potentially help me in the future?

This is a personal decision that depends on your specific situation and priorities. It's important to consider both the potential long-term benefits and your current well-being and job satisfaction when making this decision. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a mentor or career counselor.