ΔTF = KF × b × i freezing point saltwater

In summary, freezing point depression occurs when a solution has more salt than water molecules, and as the salt molecules take up more space, the temperature of the solution decreases. Concentrated solutions don't work with this equation because the salt is already concentrated. Frozen-point tables (determined experimentally) sound like a better solution.
Gliese123

Homework Statement

I think this is the right formula: ΔTF = KF × b × i
Freezing-point depression.
I have the amount of salt added to the water but how am I going to do to calculate the difference in temperature? Or with other words the freezing point of water saturated with salt (NaCl)? Or am I totally gone here? >_<
And KF is 1.853 K·kg/mol.

But b and i, what should they include? Be nice, I'm an amateur :p

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
I guess you copied it from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing-point_depression#Calculation) - all symbols are explained there. Which one you have problems with?

Note that this equation works nicely for diluted solutions, but fails for concentrated ones. Saturated NaCl IS concentrated.

I don't really know the values to use. What should I use instead if concentrated ones doesn't work with that formula?

Gliese123 said:
I don't really know the values to use.

They should be calculated. Although in this paritcular case...

What should I use instead if concentrated ones doesn't work with that formula?

...freezing point tables (determined experimentally) sound like a better solution.

Okay. Now let's say I want to know when salt water freeze when I've 1.5 g NaCl in 0.25 L water.
ΔTF=1.853 * 0.025667 (mol NaCl) * 2 (ions Na+ & Cl-)
= gives me 0.0951219. Which is totally wrong I think. It's not that little in temperature difference if I had salt into water.. Please explain...
-___- ' I would be very glad :)

Borek said:
Number of moles of NaCl is calculated OK, but moles are not the concentration.

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=concentration&right=molality

Now I think I got it:
E.g. Kf=1.867 * 0.25/ 0.01388 * 2 * 0.1368= ~9.13 °C => Freezing point is reduced to -9.13 °C
I think it should be right? If b is (2g/58.44)/0.25= 0.1368
Which is 0.25 L water & 2 grams of salt. xD

Last edited:
Gliese123 said:
Now I think I got it:
E.g. Kf=1.867 * 0.25/ 0.01388 * 2 * 0.1368= ~9.13 °C => Freezing point is reduced to -9.13 °C
I think it should be right? If b is (2g/58.44)/0.25= 0.1368
Which is 0.25 L water & 2 grams of salt. xD

I have no idea what is what of what in what you wrote - but it is wrong.

This is a simple plug and chug. The only thing you have to do is to correctly calculate concentration. You don't have to rearrange the equation to calculate Kf, as Kf is given, besides, Kf is not what you are looking for - ΔTF is.

FAQ: ΔTF = KF × b × i freezing point saltwater

What is the meaning of ΔTF = KF × b × i in the context of freezing point of saltwater?

ΔTF = KF × b × i is the equation used to calculate the freezing point depression of saltwater. It takes into account the molal freezing point constant (KF), the molality of the solution (b), and the number of dissolved particles (i) to determine the change in freezing point of the saltwater compared to pure water.

How does the molal freezing point constant (KF) affect the freezing point of saltwater?

KF is a measure of how much the freezing point of a solvent decreases for every molal (mol per kg) of solute added. In the context of saltwater, KF is affected by the type and concentration of salt dissolved in the water. The higher the KF value, the greater the freezing point depression and the lower the freezing point of the saltwater.

What is the significance of the molality (b) in the freezing point depression equation?

Molality is a measure of the concentration of a solution in terms of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent. In the equation ΔTF = KF × b × i, the molality (b) represents the amount of salt dissolved in the water and directly affects the freezing point depression. The higher the molality, the greater the freezing point depression and the lower the freezing point of the saltwater.

How does the number of dissolved particles (i) impact the freezing point of saltwater?

The number of dissolved particles (i) in a solution, also known as the van't Hoff factor, takes into account the dissociation of ionic compounds in water. This means that for every unit of salt dissolved, there are multiple ions present in the solution. The higher the van't Hoff factor, the greater the freezing point depression and the lower the freezing point of the saltwater.

Can the freezing point depression equation be used for other solvents besides water?

Yes, the freezing point depression equation ΔTF = KF × b × i can be used for other solvents besides water. However, the molal freezing point constant (KF) and the van't Hoff factor (i) will vary for different solvents, so they would need to be determined experimentally. Additionally, the equation may need to be modified for non-ideal solutions where the solute-solvent interactions are not linear.

Back