Effective action from the background field

In summary, the background field method can be used to simplify calculations in the pure U(1) gauge theory, as the final result is independent of the background field. However, this may not hold for more general gauge theories.
physengineer
Hello,

Assuming that I have a pure U(1) gauge theory. The partition function can be written as

[tex]
Z=\int D(A) \exp (-F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu})
[/tex]

If I want to find the effective action in terms of an external classical field I can write it in terms of
[itex]A\rightarrow A+B[/itex] where [itex]B[/itex] is background and then integrate over [itex]A[/itex]. Interestingly I get the same original [itex]Z[/itex] as in Gaussian integral the shift in integration does not change the result. So my final result will be independent of [itex]B[/itex]! What does this mean? Does it mean that I can treat my pure U(1) gauge theory as classical? Or I probably misunderstood the background field method.

I appreciate any comments in this regard.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It is interesting that you have found that the final result is independent of the background field B. This means that the pure U(1) gauge theory can indeed be treated as classical, as the background field does not affect the partition function. This result is not surprising, as the background field method is commonly used in classical field theory to simplify calculations.

However, it is important to note that this result may not hold for more general gauge theories. In fact, for non-Abelian gauge theories, the background field method can lead to non-trivial results and can be a useful tool for calculating effective actions. So while your finding is valid for the pure U(1) gauge theory, it may not be applicable to other gauge theories.

I hope this helps clarify the use of the background field method in the context of U(1) gauge theory. Keep exploring and asking questions – this is how science progresses!

FAQ: Effective action from the background field

1. What is the background field in the context of effective action?

The background field refers to the classical field that represents the average or expectation value of a quantum field in a particular state. It can also be thought of as the external or fixed field that interacts with the quantum fields.

2. How does the background field affect the effective action?

The background field serves as a source for the quantum fields and therefore plays a crucial role in determining the dynamics of the system. The effective action takes into account the interactions between the quantum fields and the background field, and can be used to study the behavior of the system at a macroscopic level.

3. What is the significance of effective action in theoretical physics?

The effective action is a powerful tool in theoretical physics as it allows for the calculation of physical quantities in a non-perturbative manner. It takes into account the effects of all possible interactions between the fields, making it a more accurate approach compared to perturbation theory.

4. Can effective action be applied to all quantum field theories?

Yes, effective action can be applied to all quantum field theories. However, its usefulness may vary depending on the complexity of the theory and the availability of appropriate mathematical techniques for its calculation.

5. How is effective action related to the renormalization group?

The renormalization group is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of physical systems at different scales. Effective action is closely related to the renormalization group as it is often used to study the behavior of a system at long distances or low energies, which is precisely the realm of the renormalization group.