Estimate the relationship between the maximum and minimum intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the maximum and minimum intensity of a sound heard by a person at point P, who is 4 meters away from speaker B. The distance from point P to speaker A is 4.123 meters and the path difference is calculated to be 0.123 meters. The intensity decreases with 1/r^2, and the speed of sound is set to 340 m/s. The resulting ratio between the maximum and minimum intensity is calculated to be approximately 32.89, which is different from the expected answer of 4400. The conversation ends with speaker B questioning what they may have done wrong in their calculations.
Firben
Two speakers A and B are separated by 1 meter, the point P is 4 m away from speaker B. If P is a person for what frequency does he hear that the intensity have a minimum?. (The listener hear that the sound intensity reduces and increases).I don't know the distance from P to B. (They form a right-angled triangle)

Estimate the relationship between the maximum and minimum intensity. Assume that there is a spherical wavepropogation and the effect from the surrounding kan be neglected. The speed of sound can be set to 340 m/s. The intensity decreases with 1/r^2 ie the intensity on the wave r m from the source is I0/r^2 where I0(zero) are the intensity on 1m from the distance from the source.

How can i found the intensity and what's about the max and min intensity, what value should i use for that ?

The distance from poit P to A is 4.123 m

I calculated the path difference to be 0.123 m

The answer should be I(max)/I(min) = ca 4400

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I(A) = I(0)/(4.123)^2, I(B) = I(0)/(4.00)^2

I(A)/I(B) = (4.00)^2/(4.123)^2 = 0.941

max= 1+0.941 = 1.941
min=1-0.941=0.059

ratio: 1.941/0.059=32.89

The answer should be 4400

What are i doing that's is wrong ?

Related to Estimate the relationship between the maximum and minimum intensity

1. What is the purpose of estimating the relationship between maximum and minimum intensity?

The purpose of estimating the relationship between maximum and minimum intensity is to understand the range of values for a particular variable and how they are related. This can help in making predictions and drawing conclusions about the data.

2. How is the relationship between maximum and minimum intensity determined?

The relationship between maximum and minimum intensity can be determined by analyzing the data and looking for patterns or trends. This can be done through visualizations such as scatter plots or by calculating correlation coefficients.

3. What factors can affect the relationship between maximum and minimum intensity?

The relationship between maximum and minimum intensity can be affected by various factors such as the type of data being analyzed, the sample size, and the presence of outliers. It is important to consider these factors when interpreting the results of the estimation.

4. How can the relationship between maximum and minimum intensity be used in research?

The relationship between maximum and minimum intensity can be used in research to better understand the behavior of a variable and to make predictions about future values. It can also be used to compare different datasets and to identify any potential relationships between them.

5. Are there any limitations to estimating the relationship between maximum and minimum intensity?

Yes, there are limitations to estimating the relationship between maximum and minimum intensity. It is important to note that correlation does not always imply causation, and there may be other underlying factors that affect the relationship. Additionally, the estimation may not accurately represent the entire population and can be influenced by the sample size and selection bias.