Evaluate double integrals- check my work?

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating iterated integrals and the person is asking for someone to check their work. They also share their approach and ask for feedback on it. They are also advised to use LaTeX for better replies and to explain their reasoning when asking for help. The person helping also gives some tips and observations on the person's approach to solving the integrals.
mikky05v

Homework Statement

Evaluate the iterated integrals (switch the order of integration if necessary)

I just need someone to check my work. My professor gave us this practice test to help study for our final but it isn't much use if I don't know if I'm doing it correctly.

I've been working them on my computer to make it easier to share them, If the images don't work please let me know.

The Attempt at a Solution

sVE8FM6l.png

WqNdLg3l.png

bLEJO6Ol.png

mcJ9Pifl.png

QbcRYJMl.png

0oBHpenl.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Notes: ##\renewcommand{\dxy}{\;\text{d}x\text{d}y}##
Usually you can tell if you are doing them correctly by how they work out.
If you use LaTeX in posts, people can give better replies.

It also helps if you explain your reasoning - just naming the steps is good.
The idea is that we should be doing as little work as possible to see what you did.

For instance:
(f) $$\int_0^2 \int_{\frac{1}{2}x^2}^2 \sqrt{y}\cos y \dxy$$
step 1... change order of integration
... the trick here is to correctly identify the region of integration.
For us to check your work, we have to calculate it ourselves - you should think about telling us what you found.

Anyway - it looks OK from here.

(a) can be just integrated out - if you can differentiate an exponential you can do this.
you don't need to take the exponential outside the inner integration.

(b) can be integrated straight out as is - you have a redundant term.

(c) you had the right substitution - which was the trick here

(d) you combined integrals and changed the order of operations - don't know why you didn't just integrate them out.

(e) is the same as f but with different limits (and the roles of x and y are swapped over).
if you were brave you could have used the working for this as a template for f.

You seem to be finding complexity where there is none, so you are working harder than you need to - but it does mean you spot it when it's actually there. Glad to see you are not evaluating awkward numbers (like sin2 etc) but just leaving them - that's a good habit.

FAQ: Evaluate double integrals- check my work?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to evaluate the area under a curve in two dimensions. It involves integrating a function over a region in the xy-plane.

2. How do I evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for both variables, and then set up the integral using the appropriate formula based on the order of integration (either dx dy or dy dx). You can then solve the integral using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. Can you explain the concept of "checking your work" when evaluating double integrals?

Checking your work involves verifying that your solution to the double integral is correct. This can be done by using a graphing calculator or software to visualize the region and the function being integrated, or by using the properties of integrals to simplify and confirm your solution.

4. What are common mistakes to watch out for when evaluating double integrals?

Common mistakes when evaluating double integrals include incorrect limits of integration, incorrect order of integration, and errors in integrating the function itself. It is important to carefully check your work and be familiar with integration techniques to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can you provide an example of a double integral and how to check the solution?

Sure, for example, the double integral of e^(x + y) over the region bounded by y = 0, y = x, and x = 2 can be evaluated as ∫(∫e^(x + y) dx) dy from 0 to 2. The solution is x * e^(x + y) evaluated at x = 0 and x = 2, which simplifies to 2 * e^(2 + y) - y * e^y. To check this solution, you can graph the region and the function on a graphing calculator or use the properties of integrals to confirm that your solution is correct.