Exact Differential Equations: Solving for F(t,y)

In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation in the form of F(t,y)=0. The individual attempted to solve the equation by defining M and N and taking partial derivatives. However, they got stuck at determining the value of k(y) and questioned the validity of the equation being exact. Their attempted solution did not match the given answer and they suspected there may be a mistake in the problem statement.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

(28y6 - 24e-6y)(sqrt(1-t4))dy -(10t)dt =0

Come up with a solution to this equation in the form of a function F(t,y)=0.

Homework Equations

dF/ dy = N
dF / dt = M

Note: when I write d it's supposed to be a partial derivative.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I called the part in front of the dy 'N' and the part in front of the dt 'M'. Then I took dM/dy and dN/dt to make sure they're equal. They are, so this equation is exact.

F(t,y) = integral of (-10t)dt = -5t2 + k(y)

Now, take the partial derivative of F(t,y) with respect to y. This gives -5t2y + k`(y). This equal to N.

So -5t2y + k`(y) = (28y6 - 24e-6y)(sqrt(1-t4))

There's where I get stuck. I need to figure out what k(y) is, but I have nooo idea how to do that. I tried moving everything over to the right side except k`(y) and integrating, but the integral got really complicated =\

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that you have two variables so if you integrate with respect to one, you hold the other constant. For example if you integrate with respect to y, then you would treat t as a constant.

Hmm, okay. I think I see where I went wrong.

F = integral of M dt = -5t^2 + k(y)

Now, take the partial derivative of F with respect to y. This gives k`(y).

So k`(y) = (28y^6 - 24e^(-6y))(sqrt(1-t^4))

So to find k(y), I integrated the right hand side of the above equation with respect to y. Then I got k(y) = (sqrt(1-t^4))(4y^7 + 4e^(-6y)).

But my answer was still wrong...

Last edited:
Why is it that you think this differential equation is exact? I'm not getting that at all. Based on your definitions for M and N,
[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} = 0[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial N}{\partial t} = (28y^6 - 24e^{-6y})(1/2)(1 - t^4)^{-1/2}(-4t^3)[/tex]
Are you sure you have written the problem down correctly?

Related to Exact Differential Equations: Solving for F(t,y)

1. What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation where the solution can be found by using an integrating factor. This means that the dependent variable and its differential appear in the equation in the same form.

2. What is the difference between an exact and an inexact differential equation?

The main difference between an exact and an inexact differential equation is that an exact differential equation can be solved using an integrating factor, while an inexact differential equation cannot. In an inexact differential equation, the dependent variable and its differential may not appear in the same form in the equation.

3. How do you solve an exact differential equation?

To solve an exact differential equation, you can use an integrating factor, which is a function that helps to convert the equation into an exact one. Once the equation is exact, you can then solve it using standard methods such as separation of variables or substitution.

4. What are some real-world applications of exact differential equations?

Exact differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and economics. They are also commonly used in modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics.

5. Can all differential equations be solved using exact methods?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using exact methods. Some equations, known as non-exact or inexact differential equations, cannot be transformed into exact ones using an integrating factor. In these cases, other techniques such as numerical methods or approximations must be used to find a solution.

Back