Financial Aid for $12K+ Salary: Estimating State Aid

In summary, depending on the state and university, a rough estimate for financial aid on a $12,000 yearly salary could be a few thousand dollars in pell grants and stafford loans. It is recommended to apply to both schools and fill out the fafsa to receive financial aid packets. It is also possible to ask for more money from the school. Limiting overall costs to $2000 a semester is possible with enough aid and scholarship. There are options for testing out of courses before enrolling, such as AP exams and CLEP exams.
Gear300
Based on around a $12 000 yearly salary, how much financial aid can I get in addition to help from a state residency?

Physics news on Phys.org
That probably depends on which state and/or which university you're thinking of.

Definately depends on which state and university. Even then it would be hard to say for sure but I could probably give you a rough estimate based on what I got and what some of my friends got.

There are a lot of factors involved too, including when you apply, what sort of mood the person is in who makes the decisions, etc. I also found that it seems athletes are a lot needier than normal students when it comes to need based financial aid. I didn't go to a state school though.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking either the UC system (University of California system) or a state university in Ohio.

Well I'm not exactly sure and it does vary a lot but depending on your situation. You might get a few thousand dollars in pell grants and stafford loans. What you should do is just apply to both schools and fill out your fafsa at www.fafsa.gov. You will then receive financial aid packets from the schools telling you how much you are getting. Then you can make your decision. You could also ask the school for more money (this works more with private schools). I got an extra few thousands dollars added onto my scholarship by writing a letter to the financial aid department in my school.

tmyer2107 said:
Well I'm not exactly sure and it does vary a lot but depending on your situation. You might get a few thousand dollars in pell grants and stafford loans. What you should do is just apply to both schools and fill out your fafsa at www.fafsa.gov. You will then receive financial aid packets from the schools telling you how much you are getting. Then you can make your decision. You could also ask the school for more money (this works more with private schools). I got an extra few thousands dollars added onto my scholarship by writing a letter to the financial aid department in my school.

I see. The money for university is quite a bit (considering room and board as well). How possible would it be for me to limit the overall costs to within $2 000 a semester (lately, its been starting to sound unlikely)?

Gear300 said:
I see. The money for university is quite a bit (considering room and board as well). How possible would it be for me to limit the overall costs to within $2 000 a semester (lately, its been starting to sound unlikely)?

Depending on how much aid/scholarship you get it could be very possible. I got a lot of scholarship from my school and a little from the state to where I get about $10,000 a year back from the school which I then use to pay for my apartment and books. If you go to a state school in a state you currently have residence in and you got some financial aid from the state it would be possible to keep your overall costs to within $2000 a semester. It is very unlikely though. I wouldn't get your hopes up or get too discouraged until after you get your financial aid packet. After that you can figure out what is possible or what you need to do in order to make one option possible.

tmyer2107 said:
Depending on how much aid/scholarship you get it could be very possible. I got a lot of scholarship from my school and a little from the state to where I get about $10,000 a year back from the school which I then use to pay for my apartment and books. If you go to a state school in a state you currently have residence in and you got some financial aid from the state it would be possible to keep your overall costs to within $2000 a semester. It is very unlikely though. I wouldn't get your hopes up or get too discouraged until after you get your financial aid packet. After that you can figure out what is possible or what you need to do in order to make one option possible.

I see. Thanks. One additional question: I've also been self-studying material, so I was wondering if it was possible to take a test for a few courses before enrolling into an institution?

Gear300 said:
I see. Thanks. One additional question: I've also been self-studying material, so I was wondering if it was possible to take a test for a few courses before enrolling into an institution?

There are AP exams you can take to place out of certain math/science classes. I never looked into any of this because my high school didn't offer AP classes and I didn't self study anything before college. Maybe someone that did go this route can offer more insight. When applying or after getting accepted talk to the admissions office about it and they will be able to let you know if it would be possible for you.

Gear300 said:
I've also been self-studying material, so I was wondering if it was possible to take a test for a few courses before enrolling into an institution?
Depends on the school. Mine mostly let's you test out of pre-reqs if you show that you're qualified, rather then actually getting credit for the course. Some schools also take CLEP exams, but the exams are starting to be phased out, so you need to talk to the school. AP exams are more widely accepted (I got 30 credits out of them), but they're also a high school/special class thing.

Related to Financial Aid for $12K+ Salary: Estimating State Aid

1. How do I estimate my potential state aid with a salary of $12K or more?

To estimate your potential state aid with a salary of $12K or more, you can use a state aid calculator provided by your state's department of education. This calculator will take into account your income, family size, and other factors to give you an estimate of the amount of aid you may be eligible for.

2. Is there a limit to the amount of state aid I can receive with a salary of $12K or more?

Yes, there may be a limit to the amount of state aid you can receive with a salary of $12K or more. This limit varies depending on the state and the specific financial aid program. It is best to check with your state's department of education or financial aid office for more information.

3. Do I have to repay state aid received with a salary of $12K or more?

No, state aid is typically considered a grant and does not need to be repaid. However, some state aid programs may have certain conditions, such as maintaining a certain GPA or completing a certain number of credit hours, in order to keep the aid. It is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of the state aid you receive.

4. Will my salary affect my eligibility for other types of financial aid?

Yes, your salary may affect your eligibility for other types of financial aid, such as federal grants and loans. This is because your salary is used to determine your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is a measure of your family's financial strength. A higher salary may result in a higher EFC, potentially making you ineligible for certain types of need-based financial aid.

5. Are there any special circumstances that may affect my eligibility for state aid with a salary of $12K or more?

Yes, there may be special circumstances that could affect your eligibility for state aid with a salary of $12K or more. These could include having a dependent child, being a single parent, or having extenuating financial circumstances. It is important to communicate any special circumstances to your state's department of education or financial aid office to see if you may be eligible for additional aid.

Back