Find a point given a derivative and a point.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation and finding the tangent line at a given point. The correct approach involves integrating both sides of the equation and finding the constant of integration using the given information. The final answer is found by evaluating the function at a specific point.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i2.minus.com/jyK7QefQtK8Ul.png

Homework Equations

Point-slope form of a line.

y - y1 = m(x - x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming this is the correct approach to this problem (see below):

http://i4.minus.com/ibnDPl1kiE2f6p.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question requires you to solve the differential equation f'(x)=2-4/sqrt(x). What you are calculating is the tangent line at any point.

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1394798_10200979928602153_16381899_n.jpg?oh=ad0bd782b9aac7d121813066be119b79&oe=5275B635

Solving the differential ... is this what you mean?

Qube said:
<image>

Solving the differential ... is this what you mean?

What you just did doesn't make any sense. Even if you haven't yet learned solving the differential equations, this one isn't really hard.

You have dy=(2-4/sqrt(x))dx. You simply need to integrate both the sides.

Alright, I integrate and I get y = 2x - (8)x^(1/2)

This is odd since I don't think we've learned integration yet. I know it, but ...

I suppose y = 8 - 8(2) = -8?

Pranav-Arora said:
What you just did doesn't make any sense. Even if you haven't yet learned solving the differential equations, this one isn't really hard.

You have dy=(2-4/sqrt(x))dx. You simply need to integrate both the sides.

What I did I think was linearization and I found the change in y (dy). Knowing how much y changed from the original y-coordinate of the point can help me find the new y.

I think. I'm waiting to be either corrected or affirmed.

Qube said:

Almost but you missed the constant of integration. You need to use the given information to find the constant.

Likes 1 person
Qube said:

This is odd since I don't think we've learned integration yet. I know it, but ...

I suppose y = 8 - 8(2) = -8?
When you integrate, you also get the constant of integration, so you should have y = f(x) = 2x - 8√x + C. You're given that the point (1, -2) is on the graph of f, so you can solve for C.

Likes 1 person
Oh good point. The constant should be 4.

-2 = 2 - 8(1) + c = -6 + c.

So my original answer is off by 4. The answer I suppose is -4? C?

Qube said:
Oh good point. The constant should be 4.

-2 = 2 - 8(1) + c = -6 + c.

So my original answer is off by 4. The answer I suppose is -4? C?

No. You are still not done. Now that you have found the constant, write f(x) and evaluate f(4).

EDIT: Yes, the answer is -4, that's what I get.

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
No. You are still not done. Now that you have found the constant, write f(x) and evaluate f(4).

Yes, and it's -4.

y = 2(4) - 8(2) + 4 = 8 - 16 + 4 and that's -8 plus 4 = -4.

Thanks guys for reminding me about integration! I c now! :).

FAQ: Find a point given a derivative and a point.

What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a measure of how a function changes as its input changes. It is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on a function.

How do you find a point given a derivative and a point?

To find a point given a derivative and a point, you can use the derivative formula: f'(x) = lim(h->0) (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h. Plug in the known point and derivative, and solve for x to find the x-coordinate of the point. Then, plug the x-coordinate into the original function to find the y-coordinate.

What is the relationship between a derivative and the slope of a tangent line?

The derivative of a function at a specific point is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point. This means that the derivative can be used to find the slope of a tangent line at any point on a function.

Can a derivative be negative?

Yes, a derivative can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point. A positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing at that point.

What is the significance of finding a point given a derivative and a point?

Finding a point given a derivative and a point allows you to determine the exact location of a point on a function, given information about its slope. This can be useful in various applications, such as optimization problems in economics and physics.

Back