Find Math Advisor to Start Undergrad Research for Fun

• Thread starter JoanBraidy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advisor
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to start undergraduate research for fun and the difficulty in finding opportunities for such research. The individual expresses boredom during the summer and questions why other schools have undergraduate research opportunities while theirs does not. They also mention not knowing how to come up with a good research question and ask for recommendations from someone knowledgeable in the field of math. The conversation ends with a suggestion to apply for REUs and a potential research topic related to Fermat's little theorem and group theory.
JoanBraidy
I want to start undergrad research for fun

I emailed my school and they told me they don't offer any

such opportunities for undergrads and suggested I wait until grad school.

But I'm really bored this summer and lots of schools have UR so why shouldn't I?

The problem is I don't know if a question is a good one, if its obvious or had

already been done or even where to get questions. I understsand that an undergrad

research question wouldn't be too difficult like what my profs would be doing but would

basically be something that's challenging but that nobody cares about

I was wondering if someone on here whos knowledgeable in a field of math could

recommend me some questions -Itd really really appreciate it. You could either pm me

or post it here

ps I'm not picky about the field, I've taken most common undergrad courses including

number theory analysis topology and algebra and plan to read up on the question

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As an undergrad, your adviser usually hands you the question. As nobody at your school seems to be willing to be an undergrad adviser, find some REUs that interest you and apply to them or look at schools near yours.

I've got something related to fermats little theorem and group theory. Pm me if interested

Related to Find Math Advisor to Start Undergrad Research for Fun

1. What is the purpose of finding a math advisor to start undergraduate research?

The purpose of finding a math advisor to start undergraduate research is to gain practical experience in applying mathematical concepts to real-world problems. It also allows students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and to explore potential career paths in mathematics.

2. How do I find a suitable math advisor for my research interests?

You can start by talking to your math professors and asking for recommendations. You can also attend departmental seminars and conferences to network with other mathematicians. Additionally, you can check your university's research opportunities website or reach out to the faculty directly to inquire about their research interests.

3. What are the benefits of starting undergraduate research for fun?

Starting undergraduate research for fun can enhance your learning experience by allowing you to explore math topics beyond what is covered in your coursework. It can also improve your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or future job opportunities.

4. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to start undergraduate research for fun?

No, prior research experience is not necessary to start undergraduate research for fun. However, having a strong foundation in mathematics and being self-motivated and dedicated to the project are important qualities for a successful research experience.

5. How do I approach a potential math advisor for undergraduate research?

When approaching a potential math advisor, it is important to be professional and prepared. Start by introducing yourself and expressing your interest in their research area. Be sure to do your research on their previous work and ask thoughtful questions. It is also helpful to have a rough idea of a potential research topic in mind. Lastly, be open to feedback and suggestions from the advisor.