Find matrix of T with respect to the standard basis of R^3

In summary: So in summary, if you have a matrix A in terms of a basis B, then applying the transformation T to A in terms of the basis will give you the matrix A in terms of the new basis.
Collisionman

Homework Statement

For this whole question let T be a linear transformation from R^3 to R^3 with
T(1,0,0) = (2,2,2),

T(0,1,0) = (1,2,2),

T(0,0,1) = (0,0,1).

(a) Find the image of (1,1,2009)
(b) Find the matrix of T with respect to the standard basis in R^3

Homework Equations

Standard basis of R^3 = (e1,e2,e3) = (1,0,0) (0,1,0) (0,0,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually don't know where to start with this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Collisionman said:

Homework Statement

For this whole question let T be a linear transformation from R^3 to R^3 with
T(1,0,0) = (2,2,2),

T(0,1,0) = (1,2,2),

T(0,0,1) = (0,0,1).

(a) Find the image of (1,1,2009)
(b) Find the matrix of T with respect to the standard basis in R^3

Homework Equations

Standard basis of R^3 = (e1,e2,e3) = (1,0,0) (0,1,0) (0,0,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually don't know where to start with this question.
Two of the most basic properties of a linear transformation are that T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v) and T(ku) = kT(u). Apply these properties to find T(1, 1, 2009).

For the b part, your text must have some examples of finding the matrix of a linear transformation in terms of a particular basis.

Hint: the vectors you wrote for the standard basis are exactly the same as the ones T is acting on in the problem statement.

Notice that if
[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
then
[tex]Ae_1= \begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ d \\ g\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]Ae_2= \begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}b \\ e \\ h\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]Ae_2= \begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}c \\ f \\ i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That is, the results of applying the transformation to the standard basis vectors are the columns of the matrix.

Related to Find matrix of T with respect to the standard basis of R^3

1. What is a matrix in the context of mathematics?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate mathematical equations and transformations.

2. What does it mean to find a matrix with respect to a standard basis?

In linear algebra, a standard basis is a set of vectors that are used as a basis for a vector space. Finding a matrix with respect to a standard basis means representing a linear transformation in terms of its effect on the standard basis vectors.

3. How do you find a matrix of T with respect to the standard basis of R^3?

To find a matrix of T with respect to the standard basis of R^3, apply the linear transformation T to each of the standard basis vectors (i, j, and k) and record the resulting vectors as columns of a 3x3 matrix.

4. Why is it important to find a matrix with respect to a standard basis?

Finding a matrix with respect to a standard basis allows for easier computation and understanding of a linear transformation. It also allows for comparison and analysis of different linear transformations.

5. Can you explain the concept of basis in relation to matrices?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. In the context of matrices, a basis can be used to represent and manipulate linear transformations in a more efficient and concise way.