Find the coefficent of kinetic friction

In summary, the student is seeking help with finding the coefficient of kinetic friction in a lab experiment involving a block of wood on a ramp. They have calculated a negative answer, which may be due to their choice of coordinate system. They realize that the applied force is in the positive direction and can be subtracted from the friction force, resulting in a positive answer. Alternatively, they can add the two forces and still get the same answer.
NeedsHelp1212

Homework Statement

This is for a lab, I need help finding the coefficient of kinetic friction since when I solve I get a negative answer. In the lab we have a block of wood that has a downward weight of 2.12 N. It is on a ramp set at 20 degrees and we pulled it UP THE RAMP. Using the laptop and a sensor it recorded the applied force at 1.2 Newtons.

Homework Equations

coefficient of friction= force of friction/ normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

So i set the weight into components and found the one going parallel to the ramp to be .73 Newtons and the normal force to be 2. To find the force of friction I did .73- 1.2 = -.47. Then I divided that by the normal force and got -.235. Obviously that does not make sense. Usually I am used to problems in which the applied force is down the ramp. So now it might be different since its going up ( and i don't know how to solve it that way). Please help, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A negative sign seems to make sense to me. It depends on your choice of a coordinate system.

In this case, you have chosen the positive direction to be up (+y). Since friction opposes motion, it is going in the opposite direction (-y).

oh wow, that makes sense. Since the applied force is in the positive direction I can do Positive 1.2 minus friction which is .73 (since its in the opposite direction) and get positive .47. I can divide that by 2 and get a positive answer

Or i can do -.73 +1.2 and get the same answer

FAQ: Find the coefficent of kinetic friction

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two objects in motion. It is represented by the Greek letter μ and is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction different from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction applies to objects in motion, while the coefficient of static friction applies to objects at rest. This means that the coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction for the same materials.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by factors such as the surface roughness of the objects, the type of materials involved, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the objects.

4. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be measured?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be measured experimentally by using a device called a friction tester, which measures the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant speed over a given surface.

5. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important in many areas of science and engineering, including designing and testing machinery, predicting the motion of objects, and understanding the effects of friction on different surfaces and materials.

Back