Find the principal part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0

• Thread starter SqueeSpleen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved finding the principal part of the Laurent's expansion of \frac{1}{\sin z} and using long division of polynomials to solve the problem. There were some mistakes made in the process, but the person discussing the problem was not sure if their approach was correct.
SqueeSpleen
I know (from a previous exercise) that:
[itex]\lim_{z \to 0} \frac{\sin z - z}{z \sin z} = 0[/itex]
I had to prove that:
[itex]
f(z) = \left\{\begin{matrix}
\frac{1}{\sin z} + \frac{z^{2}+\pi^{2}}{z^{3}-\pi^{2}z} \text{ if } z \neq 0\\
0 \text{ if } z = 0
\end{matrix}\right.
[/itex]
Is analytic in [itex]\{ z \in \mathbb{C} / | z | < 2 \}[/itex]
From this result I have to deduce that the principal part of Laurent's expansion of [itex]\frac{1}{\sin z} [/itex] is like
[itex]-\frac{1}{z}-2 \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\pi^{2n}}{z^{2n+1}}[/itex]
I suppose they meant at [itex]z_{0} = 0[/itex], but they didn't state it anywhere (I suspect something in the exercise isn't correct).
What I did was:
[itex]\frac{1}{\sin z} + \frac{z^{2}+\pi^{2}}{z^{3}-\pi^{2}z} = \underbrace{(-\frac{1}{\sin z} + \frac{1}{z})}_{= 0 \text{ when } z \to 0} + \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^{2n-1}}{\pi^{2n}}[/itex]
And both parts are analytics.

Then I tried to use that:
[itex]\frac{1}{\sin z} = f(z)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{z^{2}+\pi^{2}}{z^{3}-\pi^{2}z} = g(z)[/itex]
Then
[itex]\displaystyle \int_{C} (f(z)+g(z))z^{n} dz = 0 \forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] (Because it's analytic).
Then we have
[itex]\displaystyle \int_{C} f(z)z^{n} dz = - \displaystyle \int_{C} g(z)z^{n} dz [/itex]
I did the something with negative powers (Now I think I made my mistake here, I'll think it later).

Anyway, not even wolframalpha gives me the expansion I'm supposed to find.

All I can guess but I'm not sure how to justify it, is that the principal part of [/itex]\frac{1}{\sin z}[itex] to [itex](-1) \cdot[/itex] the princial part of [itex]\frac{z^{2}+\pi^{2}}{z^{3}-\pi^{2}z[/itex], otherwise the limit when [itex]z \ to 0[/itex] wouldn't be zero, even more, I think it would diverge (It could be [itex] \neq 0[/itex] if the principal part coincides but the constant isn't the same).

I think the person who made the exercise did a mistake [itex]-\frac{1}{z}-2 \frac{1}{z} \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \underbrace{\frac{\pi^{2n}}{z^{2n}}}_{\text{here}}[/itex] inverting the fraction, but I may be wrong and I don't want to ask him without being sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SqueeSpleen said:
I know (from a previous exercise) that:
[itex]\lim_{z \to 0} \frac{\sin z - z}{z \sin z} = 0[/itex]
I had to prove that:
[itex]
f(z) = \left\{\begin{matrix}
\frac{1}{\sin z} + \frac{z^{2}+\pi^{2}}{z^{3}-\pi^{2}z} \text{ if } z \neq 0\\
0 \text{ if } z = 0
\end{matrix}\right.
[/itex]
Is analytic in [itex]\{ z \in \mathbb{C} / | z | < 2 \}[/itex]
From this result I have to deduce that the principal part of Laurent's expansion of [itex]\frac{1}{\sin z} [/itex] is like
[itex]-\frac{1}{z}-2 \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\pi^{2n}}{z^{2n+1}}[/itex]
I suppose they meant at [itex]z_{0} = 0[/itex], but they didn't state it anywhere (I suspect something in the exercise isn't correct).
What I did was:
[itex]\frac{1}{\sin z} + \frac{z^{2}+\pi^{2}}{z^{3}-\pi^{2}z} = \underbrace{(-\frac{1}{\sin z} + \frac{1}{z})}_{= 0 \text{ when } z \to 0} + \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^{2n-1}}{\pi^{2n}}[/itex]
And both parts are analytics.

Then I tried to use that:
[itex]\frac{1}{\sin z} = f(z)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{z^{2}+\pi^{2}}{z^{3}-\pi^{2}z} = g(z)[/itex]
Then
[itex]\displaystyle \int_{C} (f(z)+g(z))z^{n} dz = 0 \forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] (Because it's analytic).
Then we have
[itex]\displaystyle \int_{C} f(z)z^{n} dz = - \displaystyle \int_{C} g(z)z^{n} dz [/itex]
I did the something with negative powers (Now I think I made my mistake here, I'll think it later).

Anyway, not even wolframalpha gives me the expansion I'm supposed to find.

All I can guess but I'm not sure how to justify it, is that the principal part of [/itex]\frac{1}{\sin z}[itex] to [itex](-1) \cdot[/itex] the princial part of [itex]\frac{z^{2}+\pi^{2}}{z^{3}-\pi^{2}z[/itex], otherwise the limit when [itex]z \ to 0[/itex] wouldn't be zero, even more, I think it would diverge (It could be [itex] \neq 0[/itex] if the principal part coincides but the constant isn't the same).

I think the person who made the exercise did a mistake [itex]-\frac{1}{z}-2 \frac{1}{z} \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \underbrace{\frac{\pi^{2n}}{z^{2n}}}_{\text{here}}[/itex] inverting the fraction, but I may be wrong and I don't want to ask him without being sure.

Try to learn how to use long division of polynomials. It comes up not too infrequently in Complex Analysis. You know:

[tex]\sin(z)=z-\frac{z^3}{3!}+\frac{z^5}{5!}+\cdots[/tex]

Ok, now just divide that into 1. I know that sounds simple and unfortunately we can's display what the long-division process looks like here. I'll start it for you: z goes into 1 a total of 1/z right? Then 1/z times that expression is going to be 1-z^2/6+z^4/120+. . . Now subtract that from I dont' remember what they call the various pieces of long division but you'll get x^2/2-x^4/120 and so on. Now do it again. Eventually you'll run out of principal terms and start getting Taylor terms. Well, that's your principal part. Also, Mathematica does give the power series for Csc(z).

Edit: our subset of Latex does not support multicolumn which is needed to format nicely polynomial division. However, if you're interested, here's a link to see what it look's like if you already don't know. This one is similar to this problem:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...-typesetting-of-polynomial-long-division?rq=1

Last edited:

FAQ: Find the principal part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0

1. What is the principal part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0?

The principal part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0 is the term with the highest power of (z-z0) in the Laurent series expansion of the function. In this case, the principal part is 1/z.

2. How do you find the principal part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0?

To find the principal part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0, we can use the Laurent series expansion of the function. This expansion can be obtained by using the known series expansions of sin(z) and 1/cos(z), and then taking the reciprocal. The term with the highest power of (z-z0) in this expansion will be the principal part.

3. Why is the principal part important in the study of complex functions?

The principal part is important because it provides information about the behavior of a function near a singularity or pole. It can also help us determine the type and order of a pole, which can affect the convergence and analyticity of the function.

4. Can the principal part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0 be used to evaluate the function at other points?

No, the principal part only provides information about the behavior of the function near the singularity at z0=0. It cannot be used to evaluate the function at other points, as the Laurent series expansion may not converge at those points.

5. How does the principal part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0 differ from its regular part?

The regular part of 1/sin(z) at z0=0 is the part of the Laurent series expansion that does not contain negative powers of (z-z0). In this case, the regular part is 0. The principal part, on the other hand, contains negative powers of (z-z0) and provides information about the singularity at z0=0.