Finding Minimum and Maximum values.

In summary: I suspect the question is meant to be done by hand, as in, with pencil and paper, but I'm certain that if I were to ask my teacher, he would say that using a calculator is fine. I guess the phrase "without calculators" was a bit misleading, sorry.
bah83

Homework Statement

Find the minimum and maximum values of x and the values of f(x) at these points if:
f(x) = 10.9sin(0.7x)+2.1cos(0.7x)
The range is (-.27,8.7)

Homework Equations

I don't know/think there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

I found f'(x) = 7.43cos(0.7x)-1.47sin(0.7x) = 0 and simplified to tan(0.7x) = 7.43/1.47. so arctan(7.43/1.47) = 0.7x or so I thought, but that doesn't seem to be the case as I can't find a value of x within the range.
Please give me some kind of advice, any help is welcome, thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bah83 said:

Homework Statement

Find the minimum and maximum values of x and the values of f(x) at these points if:
f(x) = 10.9sin(0.7x)+2.1cos(0.7x)
The range is (-.27,8.7)

Homework Equations

I don't know/think there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

I found f'(x) = 7.43cos(0.7x)-1.47sin(0.7x) = 0 and simplified to tan(0.7x) = 7.43/1.47. so arctan(7.43/1.47) = 0.7x or so I thought, but that doesn't seem to be the case as I can't find a value of x within the range.
Please give me some kind of advice, any help is welcome, thank you in advance.

Try plotting a graph of the function over the range of x; this will give you some insights. In fact: if you can do it easily (eg., using some convenient computer package) graphing should almost always be your first step.

I've attempted to graph it, but I still could not find a minimum or maximum point within range. But aside from that, the problems assigned in the class are supposed to be done without calculators, and obviously without computer programs as well, so I have to figure out how to do it by hand. Thank you for the advice though.

bah83 said:
I've attempted to graph it, but I still could not find a minimum or maximum point within range. But aside from that, the problems assigned in the class are supposed to be done without calculators, and obviously without computer programs as well, so I have to figure out how to do it by hand. Thank you for the advice though.

So, what background is available to you? Do you know trigonometric identities? If you do, you can re-write your function in the form ##f(x) = A \sin(0.7 x + b) ## or as C \cos(0.7 x + r)## involving computable constants A,b or C,r. In those forms the function is easy to analyze.

Anyway, you have already found one of the max or min points (even though you think you have not, for some reason). There are others, however.

Every continuous function has both maximum and minimum on a closed and bounded interval. They occur in the interior where the derivative is 0, in the interior where the derivative does not exist, or at an endpoint.

"I can't find a value of x within the range."

Be sure your calculator is in "radian mode"! The derivative is zero at x= 1.965... and x= 6.452... which are in the given range. Find the value of the function at those values of x and at the endpoints.

HallsofIvy said:
Every continuous function has both maximum and minimum on a closed and bounded interval. They occur in the interior where the derivative is 0, in the interior where the derivative does not exist, or at an endpoint.

"I can't find a value of x within the range."

Be sure your calculator is in "radian mode"! The derivative is zero at x= 1.965... and x= 6.452... which are in the given range. Find the value of the function at those values of x and at the endpoints.

Thank you so much! You were absolutely correct. I was really confused by the way it was explained so I didn't think to turn on radian mode. Thank you.

bah83 said:
Thank you so much! You were absolutely correct. I was really confused by the way it was explained so I didn't think to turn on radian mode. Thank you.

I am confused. Before you said "...the problems assigned in the class are supposed to be done without calculators...". So, is it OK to use a calculator, or not? (In my opinion such a no-calculator, no-computer restriction is silly in today's world, but you need to go by whatever restrictions are imposed on you.)

I must admit, I wouldn't know how to do this question without a calculator, but I haven't thought about the question much ;-).

FAQ: Finding Minimum and Maximum values.

1. What is the definition of minimum and maximum values?

The minimum value is the smallest number in a set of data or the lowest point on a graph, while the maximum value is the largest number in a set of data or the highest point on a graph.

2. How do you find the minimum and maximum values in a dataset?

To find the minimum and maximum values in a dataset, you can arrange the data in ascending or descending order and then identify the first and last values in the set.

3. What is the importance of finding minimum and maximum values?

Finding the minimum and maximum values in a dataset can provide important insights into the data, such as the range of values, the most extreme values, and the overall distribution of the data. It can also help with decision making and identifying outliers.

4. Are there any limitations to finding minimum and maximum values?

One limitation of finding minimum and maximum values is that it only considers two data points and does not provide a complete picture of the data. Additionally, it may not be a suitable method for skewed or non-numeric data.

5. Can minimum and maximum values be affected by outliers?

Yes, outliers can greatly impact the minimum and maximum values. Outliers are extreme values that are significantly higher or lower than the rest of the data and can skew the results when finding the minimum and maximum values.

Back