Finding Small Machined Springs for Probes

• Thread starter _Bd_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, the speaker is looking for specific features on a small spring for a probe and is considering using machined screws made of polycarbonate or delrin. They are concerned about the performance and material properties of these plastic materials as springs. They are seeking advice and suggestions on alternative options, such as off-the-shelf plastic springs or steel springs coated with rubber or plastic.
_Bd_
Hi,
I usually buy off-the-shelf springs, however I am working on a design that requires some very specific features on each side of the spring (if possible), however this is a very small device, (its a probe).

Anyways, I was thinking of getting a machined screw, as I've seen some very good looking ones and very complex features on the ends. I was hesitant however, I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with Polycarbonate (stock from McMaster) or even delrin.
Do you think its possible to machine out PC or delrin into a spring with an OD of aprox, .180" ?

I mean, I don't doubt the machine's capabilities to do it, I am more curious about its performance as a springing material. . . Has anyone had experience with this?
What material properties should I be looking for when deciding a spring material? as far as I know PC is very ductile and should not pose a problem, however I am worried about its ability to go past its yield strength (even tho I am using it mostly as a compression spring)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try doing a search for plastic springs. They're available off the shelf.
http://www.leespring.com/int_learn_LeeP.asp
Alternatively, if you don't need solid plastic, you might consider having steel springs coated with rubber or plastic.

FAQ: Finding Small Machined Springs for Probes

1. Where can I find small machined springs for probes?

Small machined springs for probes can be found at specialized manufacturers or suppliers of precision springs. These can include online retailers, industrial supply stores, or through direct contact with a manufacturer.

2. What materials are commonly used for small machined springs?

The most common materials used for small machined springs are stainless steel, titanium, and beryllium copper. These materials are chosen for their durability, resistance to corrosion, and ability to maintain their shape and tension over time.

3. How do I determine the right size and type of spring for my probe?

The size and type of spring needed for a probe will depend on the specific application and requirements. Factors to consider include the size and weight of the probe, the amount of force needed, and the environment it will be used in. It is best to consult with a professional or the manufacturer for guidance in selecting the right spring.

4. Can small machined springs be customized for specific needs?

Yes, small machined springs can be customized to meet specific needs. Manufacturers or suppliers may offer custom design services to create a spring that fits the exact specifications and requirements of a probe. This can include size, material, tension, and other factors.

5. How do I ensure the quality and reliability of small machined springs for probes?

To ensure the quality and reliability of small machined springs for probes, it is important to work with a reputable manufacturer or supplier that has experience and expertise in producing precision springs. It is also recommended to thoroughly test the springs before using them in a probe, and to regularly inspect and replace them as needed for optimal performance.