Finding the domain of integration in spherical coordinate of a shifted cylinder

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the volume of an intersected region between a sphere and a cylinder using triple integrals. The specific example given was finding the domain of integration for the intersection of a sphere with equation $$x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2$$ and a cylinder with equation $$x^2+y^2=\frac{a^2}{4}$$. It was determined that the domain of integration would be $$D=\{(\rho, \phi, \theta)|0\le \rho \le a, 0 \le \phi \le \frac{\pi}{6}, 0 \le \theta \le 2\pi\}$$ However, when the cylinder's
gsingh2011
So I've done some problems where a sphere intersects with a cylinder and I needed to find the volume of the intersected region using triple integrals. For example, if I needed to find the domain of integration for the intersection of the sphere $$x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2$$ and the cylinder $$x^2+y^2=\frac{a^2}{4}$$ then it would be $$D=\{(\rho, \phi, \theta)|0\le \rho \le a, 0 \le \phi \le \frac{\pi}{6}, 0 \le \theta \le 2\pi\}$$

Now let's say that the cylinders equation was something like $$(x-\frac{a}{2})^2+y^2=\frac{a}{2}$$ Now the cylinder is shifted by $$\frac{a}{2}$$, so how do I find the ranges for $$\phi$$ and $$\theta$$?

Side note: How do I do inline LaTeX?

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Finding the domain of integration in spherical coordinate of a shifted cylinder

1. What is the purpose of finding the domain of integration in spherical coordinates?

The domain of integration in spherical coordinates helps determine the region in three-dimensional space over which the integration needs to be performed. This is essential for calculating volumes, surface areas, and other quantities in spherical coordinates.

2. How is the domain of integration determined in spherical coordinates?

The domain of integration in spherical coordinates is determined by setting limits for the three variables - radius, azimuthal angle, and polar angle. These limits are based on the geometry of the region being integrated over and can be found by visualizing the region or using equations.

3. What is a shifted cylinder in spherical coordinates?

A shifted cylinder in spherical coordinates is a cylinder that is not centered at the origin. This means that the radius at different polar angles will have different limits, and the azimuthal angle will have an offset from the usual 0 to 2π range.

4. How do we find the limits for a shifted cylinder in spherical coordinates?

The limits for a shifted cylinder in spherical coordinates can be found by considering the distance from the origin to the closest and farthest points on the cylinder, as well as the offset in the azimuthal angle. These limits can then be substituted into the integral to calculate the desired quantity.

5. Can we use the same method for finding the domain of integration for all types of regions in spherical coordinates?

No, the method for finding the domain of integration may vary for different types of regions in spherical coordinates. For example, for a sphere, the limits for the radius will be constant, while for a cone, the limits for the polar angle will change as the radius increases. It is important to carefully analyze the region and choose the appropriate method for finding the domain of integration.