Finding the Lower Limit of x in Area Integrals: Strategies and Considerations

In summary, the area of integration is bounded by the lines y=0, x=2, and the curve y=x^2. The integral is to be evaluated over this region and the lower limit of x can be determined by visualizing the graph of the boundaries. In this case, the lower limit of x is 0 and the upper limit is 2. The integral can also be evaluated by integrating with respect to x first, then y, or vice versa, with the same result.
hivesaeed4
Let R be bounded by y=0, x=2 and y=x^2.
Then ∫∫6xydA= ? (Note the integral is to be evaluated over R)

Now what will be the lower limit of x. I took it to be 0 and the answer was 32. which turned out to be correct.
Is their any way in such questions by which we can determine the lower limit of x or do we just take it to be 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
hivesaeed4 said:
Let R be bounded by y=0, x=2 and y=x^2.
Then ∫∫6xydA= ? (Note the integral is to be evaluated over R)

Now what will be the lower limit of x. I took it to be 0 and the answer was 32. which turned out to be correct.
Is their any way in such questions by which we can determine the lower limit of x or do we just take it to be 0?

What I understand from what you wrote is that the area of integration is the one under the graph of [itex]y=x^2\,\,[/itex] on the interval [itex][0,2][/itex] , and thus

we must take [itex]0\leq x\leq 2\,\,,\,\,0\leq y\leq x^2[/itex] .

The lower limit of x is...the lower limit of x: since we're on [0,2] for x, what would you think we could have taken something else? If

Look, how did you deduce that the interval was [0,2]. I did'nt write that. And it was y which was 0 not x. So how did you find out or infer that the interval was [ 0,2 ]?

hivesaeed4 said:
Look, how did you deduce that the interval was [0,2]. I did'nt write that. And it was y which was 0 not x. So how did you find out or infer that the interval was [ 0,2 ]?

Ok, I think I see now what your problem was...Well, very simple: draw down a sketch of the integration area. You shall get the

graph of the parabola [itex]y=x^2[/itex] in the first quadrant, so I deduced R MUST be the area between the y-axis, the x-axis and the graph

of the parabola, as they talk of an area BOUNDED by...etc. This gives us x between 0 and 2...

DonAntonio

An integral of the form [itex]\int_{x=a}^b\int_{y= c}^d f(x,y)dydx[/itex], that is, with numbers as all four limits of itegration is necessarily over a rectangle in the xy- plane, bounded by the four lines x= a, x= b, y= c, and y= d.

This region of integration has three boundaries- the line y= 0, the line x= 2, and the curve y= x^2. The limits of integration will NOT all be constants since this is not a rectangle. It would be a good idea to graph or at least visualize the graphs of those boundaries.

The first thing you have to do is decide in which order to to integrate. Suppose we decide to integrate in the order "dydx". Since the result must be a number and not depend on x or y, the limits on the outside integral must be numbers. Since we are differentiating with respect to x, and want to cover the entire region, the limits of integration must be the smallest and largest values of x in that region. Here, we see that y= 0 and [itex]y= x^2[/itex] itersect at (0, 0) while the right boundary is the line x= 2. The lower limit is x= 0 and the right limit is 2.

But now, the limits of integration for y will depend on x! If you have actually drawn the graphs, now draw a vertical line representing a specific value of x (if you visualized the graph visualize the vertical line). You should see that the lower boundary is the line y= 0 and the upper boundary is [itex]y= x^2[/itex]. Your integral should be
[tex]\int_{x=0}^2\int_{y= 0}^{x^2} 6xydydx[/tex]

If, instead, you choose to use the order "dxdy"- that is, integrate with respect to x first, then y, note that the highest point in the region is where [itex]y= x^2[/itex] intersects x= 2 at the point (2, 4) while the lowest points are on line y= 0. So the "outer integral", with respect to y now, has limits y= 0 and y= 4. To find the x-limits draw, or imagine, a horizontal line at each y-value. x will go from the curve [itex]y= x^2[/itex], that is, [itex]x= \sqrt{y}[/itex] (we are clearly in the first quadrant so this is the positive square root) on the left to the line x= 2 on the right. The integral will be
[tex]\int_{y=0}^4\int_{x=\sqrt{y}}^2 6xy dxdy[/tex]

It would be a good exercise to do both of those itegrals to so that you really do get the same result.

Thanks guys.

FAQ: Finding the Lower Limit of x in Area Integrals: Strategies and Considerations

1. What is the purpose of limits in an area integral?

Limits in an area integral are used to determine the boundaries of the region over which the integral is being calculated. They provide the starting and ending points for the integration process.

2. How do I determine the limits for an area integral?

The limits for an area integral can be determined by analyzing the given region and identifying the boundaries of the area. This can be done by drawing a diagram or using algebraic methods.

3. Can the limits in an area integral be negative?

Yes, the limits in an area integral can be negative. This is often the case when the region being integrated over extends into the negative x or y axis.

4. What happens if the limits of integration are incorrect?

If the limits of integration are incorrect, the calculated area will also be incorrect. It is important to carefully determine the correct limits in order to accurately calculate the area.

5. Are there any special cases when determining limits for an area integral?

Yes, there are some special cases where determining the limits for an area integral can be more challenging. These include regions with curved boundaries or regions that require more than one integral to calculate the total area.